lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Default New cart setup Alltrax log...seem ok?

I finally got done installing my new setup in my cart (Scotty and JohnnieB are AWESOME). I took a log today and while it ran well, I thought for some reason I would get a little more speed, but I may just be expecting too much from the stock motor.

Cart:
91 Marathon
7 cell leaf lithium pack (52-58V)
Alltrax SR48400
MJZ solenoid
HD F&R
All new 2g welding cables
22" tall all terrain tires

Stock: 10mph
New tires: 12mph
New controller & Battery: 18mph

I mean, there IS a 50% speed increase, but I was hoping to get into the 20s. Does everything in the the log look ok? I know there are a couple low battery errors, but I had the software low battery setting at 52, so I may need to bump it down....and it was 18 degrees out today (30 in the barn where cart was), so the pack was pretty cold. I eventually want to get to 25-28 mph top speed, which I'm assuming will mean a new motor. I have an email into EMP and am looking at the Admiral MOT-B1. The custom plum quick and AMD motors are nice, but very spendy. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windmill.jpg (468.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monitor.zip (2.0 KB, 0 views)
BLK MAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New cart setup Alltrax log...seem ok?

Your "Under Voltage" setting is too high and is putting the Controller prematurely in reduced current output.

Change your Under Voltage to 45v and do another test drive and log the run.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-23-2021 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo on voltage setting
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Your "Under Voltage" setting is too high and is putting the Controller prematurely in reduced current output.

Change your Under Voltage to 45v and do another test drive and log the run.
I wondered if that setting was reducing controller output. I will change that setting and give 'er a go in the morning before church Thanks!

PS - My leaf pack is built just like your thread with the Chinese BMS and LV/HV relays, and it works flawless. You are amazing sir!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Hi Proof Products
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you have any issues with the new electrical setup? The reason I’m asking I have a Marathon with all the same components with the exception of your pack. Looking forward to getting her done.
Hi Proof Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Proof Products View Post
Did you have any issues with the new electrical setup? The reason I’m asking I have a Marathon with all the same components with the exception of your pack. Looking forward to getting her done.
The only issue I had was an with the reverse micro switch throttle input causing an error on the controller. I have them unhooked right now (reverse still works, but not at 50%). There is a way to use the controller to do 50% reverse instead of using the 2nd set of wires that run between the pot and the micro switch on the F&R. I ultimately think the root cause of the issue was the jumper that came pre-installed between the 2 micro switches on the HD F&R. I'm sure removing that would fix it to, I just haven't tried yet. I love the lithium pack. Granted I just got it running, so I haven't had much experience with it, but it shed a ton of weight, and basically no maintenance!

I still have a little wiring and cleanup to do. Once I'm happy with the testing, its all getting pulled to treat the wood and rebuild the cart from the frame up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210123_095040_copy_1612x784.jpg (326.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I had to do some "Honey Do" stuff last night, so I didn't get to look into this very deeply.

Mathematics first:

If the 10 MPH was on 18" tires and a 36V pack, then the 22" tires should have increased the speed by 22.2%, so 12 MPH was close to the theoretical speed gain, despite the 18.2% torque loss.

Going from 12MPH to 18MPH is a 50% speed gain, and when upping the pack voltage there is both a speed gain and a torque gain the is about the same as the voltage increase. The average voltage of the Lithium pack while at full throttle is 52.4V. I don't know what it was with the 36V pack, but if it was 37.0V, then the theoretical speed based on the voltage increase would be 17MPH (16.9945... actually). Plus another MPH or so for the reduced weight.

In other words, the actual speed gains are pretty close to the theoretical speed gains.

What I noticed on the data log is it took an exceedingly long for the controller to reach 100% output after the throttle reach 100%. Seven seconds on the first run and ten seconds on the second. (The controller is at 100% output when the Motor Voltage equals Battery Voltage.

The Throttle Pointer matched the Throttle Pointer within a second of the Throttle % reaching 100%, so I'm not sure why it took the output so long to catch up. (Question for Alltrax?)

Also notice the solenoid stayed activated throughout the data log. Solienoid should only activate when pedal is pushed.

Sounds like you are correcting the low voltage being set too high.

----------------
What is the AH rating of the pack and what max amps that can be drawn from it?

95.9A was the highest number of Battery Amps on log.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reason it was taking so long to get to speed is that the Controller was limiting the current in order for the pack voltage not to get lower than his under voltage setting.

The "Throttle Position" and "Throttle Pointer" are only referring to the input the controller is receiving and not its output to the motor.

You can notice on the log Battery Amps/Volts vs Armature Amps/Volts that 100% throttle does not necessary translates to 100% PWM.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New cart setup Alltrax log...seem ok? **Updated Log File**

Ok, so after figuring out why my log files weren't saving, I finally got a new log. It seems that the Alltrax software wants to default to the program files folder and windows doesn't seem to like that (folder is 'read only' by default). Once I switched it to a different folder, all was good.

It was still pretty darn cold today (28F), but the cart was definitely stronger with the adjust 'under voltage' setting. Cart was able to just crack 19mph. I'm curious how much performance I am losing with it being this cold. I did have an issue a couple times (and it shows in the log as a 'Range Alarm') when I mashed the pedal to the floor to see full acceleration and it would fall on its face after a couple seconds. I let off the pedal and pressed it again, and it would go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I had to do some "Honey Do" stuff last night, so I didn't get to look into this very deeply.

Also notice the solenoid stayed activated throughout the data log. Solienoid should only activate when pedal is pushed.

Sounds like you are correcting the low voltage being set too high.

----------------
What is the AH rating of the pack and what max amps that can be drawn from it?

95.9A was the highest number of Battery Amps on log.

Thats interesting about the solenoid in the log. I can definitely hear the solenoid click on and off when I press and release the pedal.

The pack is a 7PS2 Nissan Leaf lithium pack. I believe brand new cells would yield 60Ah. Discharge rate, I'm not sure, but I think its fairly high.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monitor2.zip (3.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is your throttle rate, more than 25%?

The leaf cells can deliver more current than your logs indicate.

Do you hear the solenoid click as soon as you turn the key switch ON?

Post a picture with your settings (Battery amps, Armature amps, etc).
Old 01-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
BLK MAJK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
What is your throttle rate, more than 25%?

The leaf cells can deliver more current than your logs indicate.

Do you hear the solenoid click as soon as you turn the key switch ON?

Post a picture with your settings (Battery amps, Armature amps, etc).
Throttle rate = 10%
Solenoid does NOT click with key on. It only clicks when I push the pedal.
I was just reading in the manual about the "relay status" in the monitor. It does monitor solenoid status (as you already know) but it states for this to work, "Rly Coil +" and "Rly Coil -" need to be connected to the terminals on the controller. My controller only has the Sol- terminal. I don't see anywhere else to hook up Sol+

Alltrax screenshots attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setting1.jpg (117.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg setting2.jpg (129.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg setting3.jpg (111.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg setting3a.jpg (130.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO