lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
Tubbs68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO models explained

What are the differences between the TXT, RXV, and Express models?
Tubbs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO models explained

Txt is a dc drive, rxv is ac drive, Express is usually a dressed up txt.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TXT 36/48v classic style w/rear mechanical drumbrakes, RXV 48v computerized golfcart w/counter current (regenerative) motorbrake (no wheelbrakes), autom. parkbrake, posi rearend.
Adjustable speeds (~8 - 19.5mph, 30+ w/reprogramming)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
idocmiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So does this mean there is no brake pedal on an RXV, you just lift from the accelerator? (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm currently shopping for an RXV based on research)
idocmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No, there is a brake pedal that works like in other vehicles, but brakes by ' wire '!
Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocmiller View Post
So does this mean there is no brake pedal on an RXV, you just lift from the accelerator? (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm currently shopping for an RXV based on research)
I have posted this several times and was never challenged:

This is how I understand the RXV braking system:

There are no wheel brakes. All normal braking is done by the motor using regen braking. Regen braking occurs whenever the gas pedal is up. The service brake pedal is present and when pressed, the controller increases regen braking to slow the cart faster. There is no mechanical linkage from the brake pedal to anything. It speaks to the controller electrically. The motor is capable of regen braking all the way to 0 rpm and can and does hold the cart stopped under any conditions (IE. on a hill) until parking brake engagement.

The parking brake, also referred to as the hill brake sometimes, is an electrically operated mechanical brake attached to the end of the motor. It’s operation is automatic requiring no input by the driver. It is fail safe to the engaged position and requires electrical signal to release it. When operating normally is is either all(100%) on or off. It is controlled by the controller as is everything else on an RXV.

The cart drives like an EV and is noticeably different than a standard DC motored golf cart. After some practice you can do a lot of single pedal driving. The service brake pedal feels like power brakes on an automobile to me and is very effective at slowing the cart beyond normal regen. Usually I just have to tap it a time or two. If you have a digital meter on the cart you can see the voltage of the battery pack increase during pedal up “coasting” and a dramatic and rapid increase if the service brake is pressed. I have seen over 60v momentarily when using the brake. When bringing the cart to a stop, the motor holds the cart for a second or two and then the parking brake engages. You can hear it. There are NO detrimental effects to using the SERVICE brake under normal conditions.

Exception: The parking brake will engage while the cart is moving if you mash the service brake far enough, like in a panic/emergency stop. I think Bob Boyce has posted that this is about 60% of brake pedal travel. In my experience you won’t do this accidentally under normal operation. I have had to do this twice in 2 years (panic stop). The rear wheels (both) lock immediately. It was not a violent experience and I was at speed. I don’t know how many times you can do this before damage to the brake occurs but it is not designed to do this a lot.

I have an RXV and a TXT. The RXV is superior in performance in the environment I use these carts in. That is to say use is similar to an auto, always on pavement, mild hills, relatively long distances with 6-8 miles average trip and many times over 20 miles.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Kernal, wonderful description, totally agreed! I've asked by myself " how dos this brake works " and found the answer with the counter current braking funktion. 2 phase of the ac motor were changed when pressing the pedal and the motor tries to turn in the opposite direction. This will produce the braking power. For control, there is a sensor attached to the brake pedal assembly and at the ~60% position an additional brake switch, which will activate the electromagnetic parking brake too for max braking power (panic brake). So it's not recommended, driving with full speed downhill and hit the brake excessively. As you wrote, this little disk brake is not designed for heavy use, it's mainly a parking brake.

I think, there are some misunderstandings out there about " the motorbrake " of the RXV, your post will help to solve this
Old 02-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Tubbs been the same place your at a few years ago when buying my first cart.
Best advise is research here for awhile. Being a retired auto tech I chose the txt model. Brakes mechanical, similar to auto’s. Wiring more so adding accessories ,and such more forgiving then the rxv which is technically more challenging to the say do it yourselfers compared to fly by wire rxv in that you do not want to attempt any wiring alterations ,spicing ect. They are not forgiving to making mistakes. Unless thouraly researched.
The rxv’s are from what I understand more versatile as for speed and performance mods compared to txt’s.

You also need to decide what your cart will be used for.
Example my cart is used at camp site when camping. May see maybe 10 miles a day with moderate hills at usually at 10-15 max speeds due to campground limits. Serves me well. No where comes close to putting any loads or drain on batteries and lucky to 10% worth of charge. Dc motor and accessories make for more familiar to me trouble shooting when needed. less electronic components that are beyond my trouble shooting skills as a mechanical guy.

Decide how you will use your cart as it will help decide what model you need.
Good luck😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, if you walk in with a little bit of understanding the difference between the two, and ask "could I try each where I live?", i bet they could accommodate you for free, or a slight delivery charge depending on where you live. I know if a customer came through our doors with a little knowledge and questions, it'd be no problem here (aside from delivery if it's not close by). That's the difference between a dealer who wants to get you in the right vehicle, vs one "laser focused" only on a sale. Just dont play yourself as a guy looking to get a "free cart for the weekend". Keep those thoughts in mind if a major repair on your cart were needed in the future, would they set you up with a "loaner cart" in that situation? (If they arent willing to let you "try it out", they also wont be with you if you needed a loaner cart for the weekend in the future either).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #10
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great explanation. Thanks.
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO