lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #11
idocmiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO models explained

Great info! I obviously need to continue learning before I lock my decision of RXV over TXT.
idocmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Found at electrical engineering portal:

"Countercurrent braking – The principle
The motor is isolated from the mains power while it is still running and then reconnected to it the other way round. This is a very efficient braking system with a torque, usually higher than the starting torque, which must be stopped early enough to prevent the motor starting in the opposite direction."

"Compared to mechanical and hydraulic braking systems, it has the advantage of steadiness and does not require any wear parts."

And with own words, when braking, the motor acts as a generator and the produced current are floating back to the batteries (regen).
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #13
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Found at electrical engineering portal:

"Countercurrent braking – The principle
The motor is isolated from the mains power while it is still running and then reconnected to it the other way round. This is a very efficient braking system with a torque, usually higher than the starting torque, which must be stopped early enough to prevent the motor starting in the opposite direction."

"Compared to mechanical and hydraulic braking systems, it has the advantage of steadiness and does not require any wear parts."

And with own words, when braking, the motor acts as a generator and the produced current are floating back to the batteries (regen).
What happens if the batteries are full?
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

RXV has a bleed off resister for this issue. Normally not an issue.

But your question is valid. There has been an issue with this as reported on this forum in the past. The scenario: An owner lived in a situation where the beginning of every trip from the carts' charger location was at the top of a very long hill. Basically the long duration of high regen from "right off the charger" overwhelmed the bleed off system and the controller shut the cart down.
I don't remember the details and it might have been a factory lithium cart which is significantly different than the FLA models because of the built in BMS.

There are hundreds of RXVs in my area and this isn't a problem far as I know.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #15
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
RXV has a bleed off resister for this issue. Normally not an issue.

But your question is valid. There has been an issue with this as reported on this forum in the past. The scenario: An owner lived in a situation where the beginning of every trip from the carts' charger location was at the top of a very long hill. Basically the long duration of high regen from "right off the charger" overwhelmed the bleed off system and the controller shut the cart down.
I don't remember the details and it might have been a factory lithium cart which is significantly different than the FLA models because of the built in BMS.
That makes sense. Of course it would also make sense to program the charger to only charge to 90% as recommended by Tesla unless you are going on a long drive and need the extra range.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
That makes sense. Of course it would also make sense to program the charger to only charge to 90% as recommended by Tesla unless you are going on a long drive and need the extra range.
IMO you are giving the golf cart companies way to much credit. In my experience they (all of them) are not engineered any where close to automobiles. RXVs have sloppy front suspension. Too expensive for Textron to engineer and source proper parts. Example of this are on this board. CC and Yamaha have issues like this also.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #17
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Full is kind of a squishy term in batteries. A 48 volt pack is considered full at around 51 volts, but that an vary slightly depending on the manufacturer. Meanwhile during charging the voltage can rise to mid 60's. Even if the voltage rises momentarily from a hard stop, that "excess" will get used as soon as you accelerate. To protect the system there is a resistor coil in case of extreme over voltage and protective resistor to limit the voltage that makes it to the controller.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #18
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is the thread I referenced in post#14 if you are interested.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=132425
Old 02-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #19
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Here is the thread I referenced in post#14 if you are interested.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=132425
Good explanation. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO