lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
A81
Not Yet Wild

Default Scooter batteries in electric golf cart

Don't jump on me! I have an older ezgo I got cheap. It came with regular car batteries on it. They have long since died. Has anybody tried using scooter/wheelchair batteries? I usually just use it to ride around the neighborhood and stuff like that and a new set of batteries isn't in the budget right now. Just wondering if anybody has tried it and what kind of results you had.
A81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Scooter batteries in electric golf cart

There are many different scooters/power chairs out there with many different size and capacity batteries. will they work? Probably, but no telling what kind of power and run time you'll have. Probably not much, but that might be OK for your intended use.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Voltage is voltage so any combination of batteries will work but it comes down to runtime and longevity. Years ago I able to buy black box 12 volt Trojan batteries that were 2 years old for like $25 each. Were they great? Nope but worked for me and others for a couple of years.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

All gets down to batteries capacity/ amperage assuming voltage is the same.
Have electric wheel chairs and scooters at work. Their amps. Are 1/2 to 1/4 that of golf cart batteries , so expect depending 1;2 -1/4 range if used at best assuming correct charger used to maintain them.

If really on tight budget, short term maybe see if local dealer has some half decent trade in batteries for short term use to new batteries can be purchased.
Probably better performance then scooter batteries in long run plus can be used with your golf cart battery charger.

Having been down that road. After first year of short mile or two trips on 6+ year old batteries. Bought the best available and maintain them religiously treated as the investment they are.
Investing in batteries every 4-6 years depending is fact of life owning electric cart.😊

Lipo battery advancement should make this more economically friendlier as time goes on 🤔
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
A81
Not Yet Wild

The ones I was looking at were 12v 75ah. I've looked around and the cheapest actual cart batteries I can find anywhere are about $85 each for used ones since I don't have cores. Just a thought so I could actually use it a little. Lol
Old 02-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure where you are located but my local Sams club has sales every once in a while where you can get Duracell 6v for $65 each plus core plus tax and their core charge is $5 each. Probably the best deal I have seen for new.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You are going to be very disappointed with this workaround. If there was a cheaper way, it would have already been done. Unfortunately, batteries aren't cheap, save up and don't waste your good money on bad ideas. It is a pain to be left on the side of the road, trying t figure out how you are going to get the cart back home....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Not sure where you are located but my local Sams club has sales every once in a while where you can get Duracell 6v for $65 each plus core plus tax and their core charge is $5 each. Probably the best deal I have seen for new.
Also, the local Sam's club took my kids 12v ride on car batteries as core on the Duracell golf cart batteries I bought... I don't know if the core charge is the same at all Sam's but they took any lead acid battery as core at mine.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
A81
Not Yet Wild

I may check out Sam's. The closest one to me is about an hour away. Last time I checked there they were $99 I think. I was just looking for alternatives to dropping $600-$1000 just to ride around the neighborhood.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Unfortunately that is the cost of owning an electric golf cart. Up here paid 830.00 ( al ost what I paid for cart knowing it needed batteries)for new US batteries with cores that I expect to last 5+ years with proper
Maint.
Quality deep cycle golf cart batteries are not cheap but are needed if expecting cart to perform.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO