lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
MPWELLS12
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf cart charger type to buy

Hey guys. Bought a 2017 club car precedent with no obc. Did not come with a charger. Should I buy the eric charger which is oem or is there a better charger to buy. Also will buy new batteries with it. Thanks
MPWELLS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Golf cart charger type to buy

E.R.I.C is the OEM. Lester Summit 2 would be a better replacement in opinion.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
inmanlanier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have each - the Summit II ('88 CC DS - Trojan 105s) and the OEM (Eric made by OmegaQ in Canada). Both appear to be very similar in function. I'd go with whichever is less cost - but before buying the Eric I'd make sure I got the battery algorithm for your batteries. I think Lester has a plethora of charging algorithms and some fancy features that you may prefer.
If you don't use the Eric - definitely get the Summit II. The Eric updates algorithms by USB, the Summit II by bluetooth (need an app with your phone).
inmanlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmanlanier View Post
I have each - the Summit II ('88 CC DS - Trojan 105s) and the OEM (Eric made by OmegaQ in Canada). Both appear to be very similar in function. I'd go with whichever is less cost - but before buying the Eric I'd make sure I got the battery algorithm for your batteries. I think Lester has a plethora of charging algorithms and some fancy features that you may prefer.
If you don't use the Eric - definitely get the Summit II. The Eric updates algorithms by USB, the Summit II by bluetooth (need an app with your phone).
What is the purpose of updating charging algorithms?
SoFLCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
going4speed
Not Yet Wild

Like firmware for other devices, technology is always changing. At times manufacturers may find more efficient ways to utilize the technology they put into the device. Also global knowledge changes as to methods that are effective and efficient in charging. The flip side, well not really a flip, is that if you decide to change your battery chemistry in the future, you will not need a new charger.
going4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLCart View Post
Charge algorithms are battery specific. Using a charge algorithm written for your specific make and model battery can improve performance and maximize the useful life of the battery.
Old chargers used a generic or general algorithm which did not take into account the needs of various makes and capacity batteries. It was common for a single charger to be overcharging one brand and undercharging others.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLCart View Post
Batteries are not all built the same, and different brands like to be charged differently. The correct algorithm varies depending on plate structure, Amp Hour capacity, design voltage, and several other factors.

Battery manufacturers specify the charge rates and voltage limits that their batteries should be charged for best charging. Using the wrong algorithm can cause overcharging, or undercharging of the pack, which will ultimately result in loss of capacity and damage to the battery.

There are some universal algorithms that are “good enough” to work with most batteries, but you may not get full life expectancy or capacity from the pack. Using the algorithm designed for your batteries makes them last longer, and perform better overall.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
MPWELLS12
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. Have u heard anything on the modz charger.
MPWELLS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWELLS12 View Post
Thanks guys. Have u heard anything on the modz charger.
I've heard some good things, but I have no personal experience myself.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWELLS12 View Post
.... Have u heard anything on the modz charger.
I have 2 of of the Modz Max48 chargers - one for testing/backup and the other for mounting on-board.
Used both for about 6 months each and have had no issues.
I think they are a "generic" smart charger - no option to change charge algorithms.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car