lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax Max Regen battery vs armature

2017 EZGO TXT48 with Alltrax 500 kit detuned for the stock motor.

I've had the Alltrax 500 (detuned for stock motor) installed for a few months and I'm finally playing around with the adjustments. I had ScottyB set it up when I bought it for max speed and no regen. Now I'm playing with the regen. There are two sliders in particular that I can't figure out. What is the relationship between the two sliders for Max Regen Battery Amps vs Max Regen Armature Amps?

When I move only one at at time and test drive my cart, it would seem to have no effect. But if I turn both up to different positions at a relationship of say 3:1, I can feel the regen. But it doesn't seem to matter if I set them to 3:1 or 1:3. I would have thought there would be a noticeable difference.

What am I not understanding? Or if there is a good thread (I didn't find by searching) that explains this, would you point me to the link/thread?

Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regen Setting in Alltrax.JPG (215.1 KB, 0 views)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Max Regen battery vs armature

If your cart has the typical Lead-Acid, Deep-Cycle, Wet-Cell batteries, both should be set to roughly the same value.

Set the Battery Regen Amps to twice the AH rating (2C) of the batteries. If you have a 6x8V pack, they are probably 170AH, so set the Battery Regen Amps to about 340A.

Then start at about 100A on the Motor Regen Amps and tweak up or down until the regen braking is to your liking. Then reduce Battery Regen Amps down to the same value.

The reason there are two separate setting is some (but not all) motors get mighty hot might fast when in generator mode, so the max regen amps need to be limited. Roughly the same is true for the battery's max charging amps, Wet-cells, AGM and Gel cells all have different max charging amps, wet-cells being the most tolerant to high amp rates. Also, there are Lithium batteries being used in some sepex drive carts, and the have yet another max charge rate depending on the flavor of the Lithium.

I've got both set to 90A, but I'll be tweaking those values a bit after I replace my 8+ year old 245AH batteries with lower capacity ones.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If your cart has the typical Lead-Acid, Deep-Cycle, Wet-Cell batteries, both should be set to roughly the same value.

Set the Battery Regen Amps to twice the AH rating (2C) of the batteries. If you have a 6x8V pack, they are probably 170AH, so set the Battery Regen Amps to about 340A.

Then start at about 100A on the Motor Regen Amps and tweak up or down until the regen braking is to your liking. Then reduce Battery Regen Amps down to the same value.

The reason there are two separate setting is some (but not all) motors get mighty hot might fast when in generator mode, so the max regen amps need to be limited. Roughly the same is true for the battery's max charging amps, Wet-cells, AGM and Gel cells all have different max charging amps, wet-cells being the most tolerant to high amp rates. Also, there are Lithium batteries being used in some sepex drive carts, and the have yet another max charge rate depending on the flavor of the Lithium.

I've got both set to 90A, but I'll be tweaking those values a bit after I replace my 8+ year old 245AH batteries with lower capacity ones.

Thanks JohnnieB. That makes some sense (to me), but I especially appreciate the approach you outlined as to "how" to set it to my liking. Yes, I have the 4x8v 170Ah FLA. During some experimentation today, I noticed that I like the regen effect better when the "throttle rate" is down around 25-30%. When I tried it at 40% it seemed that the regen hit sooner and harder.

If I may ask you another question... given that I have the XCT500 and running the stock motor in a 2017 TXT48 should I set both the Max Motoring Armature Amps and the Max Motoring Battery Amps to 400 amps?

Thanks again.
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Throttle Rate % setting tells the controller how fast to ramp up (or down) its output when the pedal position changes. The start point and end point values of the ramp is the same, only the elapsed time between the two changes. At 100%, the controller's output tracks the pedal position in real time and at lower percentages, there is a delay between a change in the pedal's position and controller's output.

I'm not sure of the actual differences in acceleration or regen braking at different throttle rate settings, but some of the felt differences is likely to be perception.

I know the stock 36V PDS motor can't take a steady diet of more than 400A for very long, but I'm not sure whether the stock TXT-48 motor can or not. Maybe someone that knows will enlighten both of us.

On the other hand, unless your cart has tall tires and/or a rear seat and/or you do a lot of jackrabbit starts and/or haul or pull heavy loads and/or drive at walking speeds or slower for long distances, the motor won't be drawing more than 400A for more than a few feet off the starting line. It is the motor's RPM, not the controller that determines how many amps are drawn.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO