lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

Default Grinding, won't move, but not axle.

I'm new to carts but not mechanics. My carts instantly stalled on me one day while driving. It was grinding near the drivers side wheel, so I instantly assumed it was the hub. Pulled it apart and sure enough, drivers hub was pretty stripped. Bought new ones and put them on. Now, however, it still doesn't move and the grinding is coming more from the motor area. I already pulled the axle out and took diff cover off. I see no obvious stripped areas or gear pieces missing. I assume it's the connection from motor to diff area, but where should I start? Not sure what the chances are the both are stripped, but it's my lucky day I guess.
staplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Grinding, won't move, but not axle.

Sounds like either your motor couple or input shaft is stripped out...best bet is to pull motor and check both sides...be careful, if it is stripped that bad to grind the motor will start dropping on its own as soon as the last bolt starts being removed so brace for it...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

Sounded exactly like my issue. I took your advice and pulled the motor off, but those gears look fine. I wrapped paper towel around the top gear and put vice grips on it. Then turned the hub with diff plate off so I could see. When I turn the hub, the biggest gear inside the diff doesn't turn, but looks like everything to that point turns.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok just to make sure I understand...to this point you have checked BOTH hubs..or replaced it sounds like...and checked the motor coupler itself AND the the input shaft it slides onto and they both seem fine? Just making sure because it is very rare for rear gears to go out before any of those things...and if they do you should have seen a lot of shavings in the rear end when you took the pan off...also just in case someone else wants to chime in and help out more info would help as I've been assuming you have a TXT...Year of cart?
Old 06-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

yeah, it looks to be ok at the input coupler of the motor and both hubs have been replaced. Drive shaft seems good. I just went back out and did another test. If I turn the hubs, everything seems to turn up to the point the big gear in the diff. That big gear doesn't turn when I turn the hub. Then I used vice grips to turn the coupler where the motor attaches. When I turn that, the big gear in the diff turns, but nothing past that. Cart is a 2005 EZGO Medalist electric. Thanks again for the help
Old 06-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hmmm I have to shut down my shop... 4 p.m. Eastern but I'll be back with some more ideas tomorrow (hopefully someone will chime in), however to my knowledge they only made EZ Go medalist from like 93-96 so you may wanna check your model year out...its the last two numbers of Model on serial plate is your carts year...
Old 06-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

ah, it's a 2005 TXT. Serial plate is missing, but from what previous owner told me and visually on the internet, it's the same model.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

Is it possible that something is slipping inside the actual motor? That would be the grinding noise?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you turn the hubs and the big gear doesn’t turn then the spider gears or axle is hosed. Is the other hub spinning when you spin one side?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
staplehawk
Not Yet Wild

hub is not spinning on the other side. I put the motor back in with diff cover off to see what's going on. Hope this helps, as I'm pretty new to differential stuff. It's not turning the axle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Q6sfDWNIA
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO