lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2021, 05:10 AM   #1
MR EZ-GOING
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon 36 Volt runs fast with keys off

Hi, the only way I can stop it is to put in Neutral . Runs by it self when key is off. date code is 86H12. This Marathon has the Pedal is fully up. Front around Forward and Reverse switch get hot .

I disconnected the low voltage side of the 36 volt solenoid no difference, In the past I replaced the Resistors and Board and Speed Board and all large wires about two years ago. Worked fine till now.

Thanks everyone. This old guy lives in Montana.

I have video and pic's too
MR EZ-GOING is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Marathon 36 Volt runs fast with keys off

Running with the key switch off was something that was easy to happen with my 84 Marathon. A bad microswitch could make that happen, but I never had it to run with the pedal in the up position. The power has to go through the wiper, and the only way I can think of for that to happen with the pedal up is if the first contact and the second one on the board are melted together. I would think that almost has to be your problem. You ought to be able to shine a light down there and see without having to remove anything.

Good luck figuring it out.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

EZGO hot-wired the #1 stud to the solenoid output stud to reduce the arcing that had previously been quickly wearing out the #1 stud and wiper. The net result was the cart would move with the pedal up whenever the solenoid contacts were closed and they depended on the pedal switch to be good and properly adjusted to keep that from happening.

See attachments. Hot wire kludge circled on second drawing.

Fix the pedal switch and the cart will be back to normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo -2.jpg (146.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo -1st stud wire circled.jpg (151.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

JohnnieB, that info and diagram should help him figure it out. Mine was an 84 model and it didn't have the bypass cable on it when I bought it, and the diagrams I had didn't show it. I went through several boards and wipers during the 15 years or so that I owned it. It wasn't until the last year that I had it that I saw a diagram with the bypass. I put one on it and it did reduce the arcing, though even that didn't eliminate it.

But the wiper is supposed to rest on the contact labeled 0 in the drawing, and there is nothing hooked to it. So doesn't he still have a problem with either the pedal not returning all the way to the up position, or the 0 and 1 contacts are somehow melted or touching?
Old 07-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
JohnnieB, that info and diagram should help him figure it out. Mine was an 84 model and it didn't have the bypass cable on it when I bought it, and the diagrams I had didn't show it. I went through several boards and wipers during the 15 years or so that I owned it. It wasn't until the last year that I had it that I saw a diagram with the bypass. I put one on it and it did reduce the arcing, though even that didn't eliminate it.

But the wiper is supposed to rest on the contact labeled 0 in the drawing, and there is nothing hooked to it. So doesn't he still have a problem with either the pedal not returning all the way to the up position, or the 0 and 1 contacts are somehow melted or touching?
The wiper is connected to the solenoid output terminal. The studs on the board are connected to the motor (via the resistors or direct for stud-4). In other words the jumper connects stud-1 to the solenoid's output terminal regardless of where the wiper is and the motor will have voltage applied to it whenever the solenoid contacts are closed.

Jump your solenoid contacts with jumper cables and see what happens.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The wiper is connected to the solenoid output terminal. The studs on the board are connected to the motor (via the resistors or direct for stud-4). In other words the jumper connects stud-1 to the solenoid's output terminal regardless of where the wiper is and the motor will have voltage applied to it whenever the solenoid contacts are closed.

Jump your solenoid contacts with jumper cables and see what happens.
Thanks for the explanation; my resistor cart went to the junk yard about 10 years ago so I was going from my memory, which ain't too good. I'm not sure that I ever had everything hooked up right on it . It worked, but sometimes it did things that seemed like magic. :)

Hopefully the OP figured it out and got it to working right.

Tags
only stop is in neutral
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO