lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Good or Bad?

I had a noise coming from the speed sensor end of the motor, so I pulled the motor to check it out. Got it off and this is what I found? Is it burnt? It ran before I took it off, but because the batteries were toast, it didn't run great for very long. Could the bad batteries have done this? Trying to decide whether to just change the bearings and move on, or buy a rebuilt. Also, off there are other options similar in pricing, I'm open to ideas. Thanks!
2016 EZGO TXT 48
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210808_170141503.jpg (249.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210808_165851149.jpg (111.4 KB, 0 views)
dwhitt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Good or Bad?

I am not a professional, but that does not look bad to me.

I have changed out several CC electric motors and would say they all look like that inside.

Others with more experience will jump in.
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks pretty routine to me. I don't see anything that would raise concern. Did you probe the terminals for continuity and possible short to case before you unbolted the motor ?
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Normal carbon dust inside, took it apart and clean it and check the commutator / brushes ( messie job ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210527_180747.jpg (139.2 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

looks normal.....could be a bearing going bad....seeing as how the noise was coming from the speed sensor area.....you might as well take it apart and look at the bearing and the brushes.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
dwhitt74
Not Yet Wild

Ok, many thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'll prices with changing the bearing out. Does the motor have to be mounted on the cart to do the continuity test?
dwhitt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitt74 View Post
Ok, many thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'll prices with changing the bearing out. Does the motor have to be mounted on the cart to do the continuity test?
I think you can probably do it with the motor off the cart but I always prefered to do it while still bolted up. My thinking for that is that there is no bearing in the front end of the motor, it relies on the input shaft bearing to hold the armature centered. When it's off the cart the armature can lay over against the field windings, and part of the test is to read from armature to field. Somehow in my mind it's best to not have them in contact. Might just be me.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The laminated steel core of the armature is not electrically connected the the insulated wires in the armature windings and the same is true for the stator (field) shoes and their insulated wire windings, so continuity checks can be made with the motor on the bench.

You absolutely must not try to get the motor to spin when it is out of the cart. The armature will be sucked into the field windings and locked in place and the armature amps will go to max, burning out the windings if connected very long.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO