lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #1
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 RXV died on a hill

2017 rxv 48v. My 13 year old called frantic, having gone WAY past the neighborhood, then up a long hill trying to find a safe place to turn around. The cart died right in the road. Luckily a guy cutting his grass nearby helped her get it off the road. It wouldn't roll, but the guy and his son managed to toggle it into tow mode over and over until it was off the road. It would disengage long enough to roll about a foot.

I got there and had the same problem. Wouldn't go into tow mode. It powered up and would click but wouldn't go anywhere. I came back after work and did the plug swap and we rolled it onto a trailer and got it home. I was hoping the batteries had only died, but that's not the case.

I don't know a whole lot about carts. I've watched a lot of videos for solving the problem of the cart clicking but not running, but I don't really know what to be testing. All I know is, it has power and it clicks when I put it into R or F, or when I attempt tow mode. It does everything but actually GO. I'm wondering if going out that country road hill taxed the motor, or some component.

Can anyone tell me where to start?
pjr202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
billybobRXV
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2017 RXV died on a hill

Almost the exact same thing happened with my 2016 RXV. I could only roll the cart about a foot toggling the Tow switch and could only get the parking brake to stay disengaged to roll cart onto trailer by switching the plugs under the controller cover.

The main solenoid was bad. You can get one off Amazon (make sure the 48v) but it is an aftermarket (Mr Access I think is name) and it will get you going. I purchased an OEM solenoid from a dealer and now have the Mr Access as a backup.
billybobRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Could also be a low voltage issue. Climbing a long hill on a low pack could have dropped below low cut off. Make sure to charge it up before you do anything else.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A loose or bad battery cable, bad battery terminal. Lots of couplings that could be loose or corroded. Try wiggling stuff and look close at things. If you have a way to check ohms the plug coming off the motor brake should read 25 to 28 ohms. Have the key off and switch to tow mode while doing any of this.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobRXV View Post
Almost the exact same thing happened with my 2016 RXV. I could only roll the cart about a foot toggling the Tow switch and could only get the parking brake to stay disengaged to roll cart onto trailer by switching the plugs under the controller cover.

The main solenoid was bad. You can get one off Amazon (make sure the 48v) but it is an aftermarket (Mr Access I think is name) and it will get you going. I purchased an OEM solenoid from a dealer and now have the Mr Access as a backup.
I'll check that, thank you. I've been looking around at how to test the solenoid. How convenient for her that she was WAY beyond her allowed cart driving area when it died...haha. I'm just glad she didnt get into a worse situation as a result. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Could also be a low voltage issue. Climbing a long hill on a low pack could have dropped below low cut off. Make sure to charge it up before you do anything else.
I was hoping for the same, but when I came out after 3 hours and it showed fully charged, I figured it wasn't a power issue. As expected, the symptoms were the same.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIRD! View Post
A loose or bad battery cable, bad battery terminal. Lots of couplings that could be loose or corroded. Try wiggling stuff and look close at things. If you have a way to check ohms the plug coming off the motor brake should read 25 to 28 ohms. Have the key off and switch to tow mode while doing any of this.
I gave everything a once-over while it was stranded. I had just gone through it a few weeks ago too, when I had a charging problem that ended up being due to a loose terminal. I didn't come across anything amiss yesterday. Been watching some repair videos and stuff so I'm gonna track down my missing meter and poke around on it this evening if possible. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-31-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default 2017 RXV died on a hill

My ‘13 RXV brake locked up on a hill climb. I had to take the brake off the motor to roll it home. At home I hooked the brake up to another carts pack voltage and the brake opened up. Come to find out my battery voltage had dropped too low and that was the reason for the brake locked up. Voltage read fine after a charge, but once under a load they dropped voltage quickly. I had to replace the batteries.

So until you get the brake to released with known pack voltage I wouldn’t go replacing other stuff. Might be a bad electric brake if you can’t get it to release in Tow and Neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbdale View Post
My ‘13 RXV brake locked up on a hill climb. I had to take the brake off the motor to roll it home. At home I hooked the brake up to another carts pack voltage and the brake opened up. Come to find out my battery voltage had dropped too low and that was the reason for the brake locked up. Voltage read fine after a charge, but once under a load they dropped voltage quickly. I had to replace the batteries.

So until you get the brake to released with known pack voltage I wouldn’t go replacing other stuff. Might be a bad electric brake if you can’t get it to release in Tow and Neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. If I got it to roll by reversing the plugs, that disengaging the brake isn't it?
Old 08-31-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
pjr202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobRXV View Post

Can the solenoid still be bad if it's clicking? It clicks. I can't find my multimeter at the moment to test it further.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO