lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Aaviator
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT lithium/controller/lift kit recommendations

I have a '98, 36 volt Ezgo txt. Batteries are getting old so I thought this would be a good time to do a full conversion. I want to convert to a 48 volt lithium battery and lift the golf cart. I have been doing research on various batteries, lift kits, etc but I would like the forum's inputs on what they have used and what they recommend.
Lift kits:
Spindle or drop axle? I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I am capable of reasonably simple work underneath a golf cart. I have installed a rear seat package and things like that. Seems like a spindle lift is easiest to install but is it the best way to go? Thoughts on that plus what kit would you recommend. I've seen drop kits fairly cheap on Amazon but was looking at the Jake's spindle kit. I plan on replacing the wheels with 22 or 23" wheels/tires.
Lithium Batteries:
I am looking at four, 12 volt, 100 ah lithium batteries connected in series. Currently considering ampere time, or enjoybot, batteries as I have seen YouTube tear down on these batteries and they seem to be well built. And the price is very good.
Controller:
Not really sure yet.
Thanks!
Aaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: TXT lithium/controller/lift kit recommendations

Only recommendation I can give you is don't do a 4x12 Lithium! Get a 48V package. Having separate 12V lithium is not a good idea at all. You want a BMS that handles all of the cells!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Aaviator
Not Yet Wild

Why is that? I see companies selling drop in lithium replacement batteries for golf carts. Presumably they all have separate BMS on each battery. What's the issue?
Old 12-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I can't remember where I read it. But you have to make sure the BMS inside each battery can pass the big amp draw when you floor the throttle. For instance, I installed the Alltrax 500 in my 48v TXT, but dialed it down to just over 400 amps because I still have the stock motor. And as part of the install I installed a 400 amp fuse on the batteries. I think I read somewhere that the BMS in some of the 12v 100A batteries tripped open on the big amp draw of hard acceleration. Sorry I can't be more specific.

BTW, I'm still using flooded lead acid (Trojans).
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:25 PM   #5
Aaviator
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks. That's interesting. I need to research that a little more. I'd like to use a packaged 48v set up, but they cost quite a lot more. I can get the 4 12v batteries for about $1200 vs $2100 and up for a 48v pack.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

It sounds like you'll be doing a ground up modification. I started out like you with my 36 volt TXT and went the DC route originally. As you increase tire diameter you will lose torque which you can gain some of it back with a controller upgrade. DC for the most part is a compromise between torque or speed but you will not get both. DC has tons of motor options available which makes it mind boggling. I have since converted to a Navitas AC setup and would never go back to DC. With a Navitas 5K 600 amp conversion you will get plenty of torque to turn big tires and climb hills plus you get more speed. Other pluses are you'll get rid of that clunky antiquated F/R lever and there's no brushes to wear out or commutator to come apart as you increase RPM's. With Navitas you can run it on 36 volts now, change it to 48 volts later or if you want/need more speed you can go all the way to 72 volts all with just adjusting the settings with an app on your phone. Before you make the leap to Navitas you'll need to make sure it plays well with your choice of lithium batteries. Considering all options now will save you money later.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
Warden902
Getting Wild

I bought a 1999 EZGO DCS last year that was running on 36 volts. It had a Alltrax 300 amp upgrade and stock motor. It has 24" tires and a 6" lift. Again, this is how I bought it. I ran it all Summer at the campground and got really good service from it. With just the slight upgrade of controller the cart would pull the steep hills in the camground excellent. I got a excellent deal on 4 100amp Lithium 12 volt batteries. Since my controller would expand to 48 volt, I installed a heavy duty 48 volt solenoid and dropped the Lithium batteries in. OMG, did it every wake the cart up. My top speed before was 15mph and decent torque. Now it will run 21 to 22mph. It has a vast improvement of torque. I know dropping the weight of the batteries helped. I am waiting for a used D&D motor to show up and that will be my last upgrade. The batteries I bought are Chins. I will give them a good hard test this summer and give a report. I have been running around in my subdivision here in Eastern KY and it is doing awesom.
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
Aaviator
Not Yet Wild

Great info! Thanks! switching to an AC system would be great, but I think that's more than I want to spend on this thing. Hey Warden902, a couple questions for you did you have any trouble running your stock 36 volt motor at 48 volts? And have you had any problems with the bms's on four individual batteries hooked in series. There have been some concerns that rapid accelerations can overamp the BMS and cause them to cut out. Just curious...
Old 01-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Warden902
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaviator View Post
Great info! Thanks! switching to an AC system would be great, but I think that's more than I want to spend on this thing. Hey Warden902, a couple questions for you did you have any trouble running your stock 36 volt motor at 48 volts? And have you had any problems with the bms's on four individual batteries hooked in series. There have been some concerns that rapid accelerations can overamp the BMS and cause them to cut out. Just curious...
I am not having any issues with the stock 36 volt motor. I am not having any issues with the batteries dropping out. I have only ran this a hand full of times in my neighborhood. I upgraded to a 48 volt charger that is made to charge lithiums. The controller I have is only a 300amp. If you run bigger amp controllers there may be an issue. I do not have enough time on the switch yet to say go ahead and do it. But boy, what a difference.
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:59 PM   #10
Aaviator
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

Tags
controller, lifepo4, lift kit, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO