lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
2Mule
Not Yet Wild

Default Workhorse addicted to the choke

Ran my 2000 Workhorse for 4 days straight last weekend at the beach with no problems, ran great. Nothing crazy...just shuttling my family around small town and dropping kiddos off at the beach. Ran strong all weekend. Trailered back home, fired up out of the trailer with no issues, ran it around the block and parked it for the week. Tried to drive it this weekend but no luck. First time i started it, it ran like usual until I gave it some gas, it flooded and died. Tried starting again with choke. Ran fine until I released the choke, then died. I got it running like normal twice this weekend, only to have it die on me 30 seconds into a drive, when I gave it gas. Today, the only way to make it run was to fully engage the choke...but once I release it, it dies. I'm stumped as to why it ran strong last weekend, took a few days off, now having issues. Thanks for your thoughts...
2Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
richie
ZZGONE

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse addicted to the choke

Pull the bottom of the carburetor and check the pickup tube.If it is clogged it will not let fuel get up into the carb making it only run with the choke on.Just a thought
richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

If your havin to choke it to run, its starvin for fuel. Pull the carb and dissasemble to check for blockages in the jets or other components and make sure your pump is delivering a sufficient volume of fuel. If the above don't fix, check your fuel lines for blockages.. Hope this helps
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I agree with ez go go. I would also check your tank and fuel filter if you have one. it's possible that something is clogged or you have a bad batch of fuel. (water in it) Is there a chance you ran thru some rain on the way home and it got sprayed up in to the engine compartment? I have heard of that as well. Just some thoughts.

Good luck.
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I agree too, but first pull the fuel line off carb and crank, to see if your getting fuel up to the carb.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
2Mule
Not Yet Wild

Okay. Pulled fuel line to carb and cranked it...fuel pumped through line, no problem. It has a fresh tank of super unleaded and I ran it for a day on this new tank prior to parking it last weekend. Haven't run through water either. I just cleaned the carb about 5 months ago and gave it a full tune up, but looks like I need to clean and check the carb again, as you guys suggested. One other thing...the workhorse has been having electrical issues when starting. Sometimes I turn the key, hit the gas and nothing...acts like there is a bad connection. I shake some wires, then it starts up. Still trying to figure that out. This started about two weeks ago, but do you think there is any relation between the this electrical issue and the engine not running? (I don't think they are, but they started within 2 weeks of each other) Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The electrical issue sounds like a micro switch connection or poss. a bad micro switch if your gettin nothin when you push the pedal. If your havin to run choke, its starvin for fuel. It only takes a tiny piece of trash to clog the carb jets so clean the carb and give it a try. Let us know how both prob. pan out.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
2Mule
Not Yet Wild

Tried a few things tonight on the workhorse, but not enough time to remove and clean carb. Got the engine to fire very briefly, but noticed after i let the pedal off and engine stopped, the carb drain began draining gas out of it, which I had not noticed before. I'm assuming this is more proof that the carb is clogged and needs a cleaning?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
2Mule
Not Yet Wild

Carburetor had Blockage. Cleaned and running again. Thanks for everyone's help and insight.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Glad we could all help!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO