lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
KMV77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZgo Robbins 295 engine question

Well I think I have a robbins 4 stroke engine in my 93 marathon. It has 2 sparkplugs. I was told by the po of the cart that taht one of the pistons was not moving. I am thinking a rod broke or maybe the rod bearing cap came off (doubtfully). It runs on 1 cylinder. I havent torn into it yet, but is this typical of this engine? If so what could the problem be?
Thanks,
Kevin
KMV77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZgo Robbins 295 engine question

WELCOME TO BGW!!! I suggest you start looking around for a running 295 that somebody removed for a big block conversion... I have in the past bought them for much less than what a rebuild would have cost. ... plus you do not know if your engine is rebuildable until you tear it down and MIC all the components. That crank could be trashed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
KMV77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hmmm, ok are they hard to rebuild, or is it that just the brand new parts are so expensive that I can get a running motor for probably less than the cost of a new crank ? I just did some searching and theres a guy close to me parting out a '91 marathon, with a good running motor. How much do these motors usually go for? Just so I have an idea of what to offer?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

91 will be a 2 stroke motor ....... the rods have no rod bearings so it is pretty typical for the cranks to get worn beyond serviceable condition.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
KMV77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok did some research on this 295... I know that the governor was turned up on the engine 2 owners ago, so I am hoping that the rod bolts just vibrated loose from the excessive rpm's. If they did, and the crank is ok, I'm guessing that I could get away with a new connecting rod. I guess I wont know until I pull it. I'll post my progress as I go. Also this cart didnt have a battery, I read that a 70 series battery originally was in it. Could I get away with a 12v lawn and garden battery from autozone? If so how many amps and cca's do I need.
Kevin
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

This aint no lawnmower!! This things for cartin', not cuttin'.... Go with the correct batt.. Thats starter needs the amps!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That cart won't take a bigger battery......
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
This aint no lawnmower!! This things for cartin', not cuttin'.... Go with the correct batt.. Thats starter needs the amps!
I say the correct battery... Cant go wrong with the manufacturer's recomendation!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
KMV77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How many amps are we looking at? I was figuring that a 3 cyl geo metro's battery might work as long as it fits on the battery tray. I definitely want to do it right the first time as I prefer to ride in the cart rather than push it lol. I'm still learning here so let me know the ins and outs.
Kevin
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

my 98 txt took a 26 series battery when I replaced it a few weeks ago. There wasnt any room to go to a bigger battery in it with out trimming the tabs off the frame.
BLUE72CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO