lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
fieldman10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G14A - Intake leak, not able to reach full speed

Working on a G14 gas for a buddy. It runs, but when nearing top speed it is either choking itself out or not getting enough air it seems like. He said it ran fine before he took the carburetor off to clean it.

I replaced the carb joint/boot which was cracked and made a few other adjustments and can get it to run near full speed with the choke at about 7/8. I'm thinking it is pulling air between the air cleaner housing or the carb boot gaskets.

Has anyone had a similar problem or am I looking in the wrong place?
fieldman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G14A - Intake leak, not able to reach full speed

Keep at it, they are fussy about air leaks in the
filter housing, Then mayhaps he did something wrong
in the carb cleaning??
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
fieldman10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I tried resealing the airbox and using zip ties instead of the straps. Also tried to identify any air leak by using my wind checker powder for bow hunting and some ether. I was unsuccessful and it still runs as before.

I am now leaning toward a problem in the carb, because the lean mixture could also be not enough fuel at high rpm's. Not real familiar with these little carbs, but could something be limiting my fuel? I looked at the fische from yamaha and it shows the pilot jet being a #60, and mine has a #55.

Could this be a problem at high rpm's? About how many turns out should the pilot adjusting screw be turned out?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most of these carbs the idle jet is 1.25 to 1.5 turns out, it only affects idle and just off idle. The main is in the bottom you can spray right up it. Leak in the intake/airbox will make it run lean, will run badly, it has to all be sealed to run right. Can also foul the plug running it that way. If you mod the airbox you can hog the main out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
fieldman10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

By hog the main out, do you mean still too much air or not enough?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
fieldman10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I plugged a hole on the carburetor where I assume there is supposed to be a brass plug and it runs much closer to normal. It comes out on the top of the carburetor body right behind the choke and feeds down into the bowl, so this is probably where the extra air is coming from...

Still has some hesitation, but I gave up on it for the night. Any advice???
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A hole, that is not good. If everything is sealed up factory it should run fine. I would say you have a leak yet, but make sure the plug is ok first. I mean hog the jet if you mod the airbox. On the G9 the 'muffler' can be removed to help airflow without affecting the air cleaner part, but you have to enlarge the jet or get larger one to make it run right then. Any leak or modification to the airbox lets more air in so you need more fuel. You want to find any leak because if its after the airfilter you can get dirt into the engine.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
LoudmouthG9
Not Yet Wild

Mine could like some more fuel.

If it has a 55 jet now what would be the favored drill size to use? Are number drills a match for jet holes?

Will this engine take RPM abuse or will it fly apart?

Does the G9 have a rev limiter?

Has anyone ever plugged a muffler or are they plug proof?
LoudmouthG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
fieldman10
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Finally got it... I had the eerie feeling that it was an electraical problem but it wasn't too bad, just very frustrating.

The motor had an intermittent spark which was caused by a weak ground from the gas pedal switch to the solenoid. I spliced a jumper wire straight to the starter ground wire from this and i've got all the spark I need now.

Lesson learned about troubleshooting.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthG9 View Post
Mine could like some more fuel.

If it has a 55 jet now what would be the favored drill size to use? Are number drills a match for jet holes?

Will this engine take RPM abuse or will it fly apart?

Does the G9 have a rev limiter?

Has anyone ever plugged a muffler or are they plug proof?
There are jet and drill size charts on the net, you can get a drill set pretty cheap at harbor freight its only brass drills easy. I used a torch tip cleaner to file mine out larger, don't know what size it is. Mostly all I did was take airbox parts out except the filter.

It will only go to about 5K even in neutral, you need a cam to change that. They usually live ok if you have gears or big tires to gear them up and don't go wot down hills....when run with no governor. Mine will gps 30mph on a flat paved road after a while with 22" tires with 15psi in rears, or 28 on a dirt road.

No limiter in a G9

4 strokes usually don't plug a muffler ever unless they burn oil or run way rich and carbon up. The G1 is a 2 stroke and they do plug up people talk about them on here often.

You should make a new thread with questions, people search they will not find answers if the thread is not about the title of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldman10 View Post
Finally got it... I had the eerie feeling that it was an electraical problem but it wasn't too bad, just very frustrating.

The motor had an intermittent spark which was caused by a weak ground from the gas pedal switch to the solenoid. I spliced a jumper wire straight to the starter ground wire from this and i've got all the spark I need now.

Lesson learned about troubleshooting.
Wiring issues are the most common thing on these carts, but not common they affect ignition like that.

Tags
carb, g14, gas, mixture
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha