lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
soundq1z24
Not Yet Wild

Default Resistor coils

How hot should the coils get? I got the new batteries installed and all the wires new wires ran. The high speed coil was cherry red after about a 10 minute riding. Cart was fine on flat ground, but has horrid on hills. Should I look into a real controller or replace the resistor coils. Cart is lifted, has a new 3 horse GE motor, all four solenoids work, and all contacts were cleaned to shiny brass.
I know it is heavy, but come on now. Cherry red and could feel the heat threw the sheet metal body.
soundq1z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Resistor coils

The coils are completely out of the circuit when your wide open. If your just cruising around not full throttle they'll get extremely hot. If your floored and they are still that hot you need to make sure your actually wide open and not 3/4 or so. Pedal might show it but not the contacts. If you've went 48 volts they'll get even hotter at partial throttle.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
soundq1z24
Not Yet Wild

I made sure tonight to adjust the throttle to for wide open. It looked like the contact was only half on the 4th tab. It is now making full contact. I did not test it after that.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
soundq1z24
Not Yet Wild

It is doing better now, but I am thinking of switching over to a real controller.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundq1z24 View Post
It is doing better now, but I am thinking of switching over to a real controller.
Is it a club car 36 Volt ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
soundq1z24
Not Yet Wild

It is a 1978 Nordco Marketeer.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will need to install a potentiometer. This throttle position sending device will tell the Speed controller how much juice to allow the motor to have at any given peddle position. This pic is just an example of what can be done. There is no reason you can not upgrade to solid state on any of the old resistor coil carts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (87.5 KB, 12 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
soundq1z24
Not Yet Wild

I have done some research. I knew I needed the potentiometer, a new heavy duty forward reverse switch, controller, and a few little things.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts