lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1987 Marathon Sluggish

This past week I put a 4" lift on with 22x11x10 tires on my cart. Which I thought should of changed the ratio of my gearing for more top speed. I also put on 2 new clutches because the old one were shot. I disconnected the governor at the carb and still showing about 10mph on the gps speed. I'm confused as to what I'm missing that would cause me to not gain any speed. I have a new carb on the way but it fires and runs fine now other than the occasional float needle getting stuck and not allowing fuel into the bowl. That shouldn't affect the speed when its working though. Help me out cause if I can't get this thing over 10 with all these new parts my wife's gonna hold this over my head forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo 1.jpg (205.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo 2.jpg (180.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo 3.jpg (200.1 KB, 9 views)
felber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Marathon Sluggish

I think that the first thing would be to check the obvious. Is the throttle opening completely? With the key off get someone to mash the accelerator and then see if you can open the butterfly further by hand. If it is fully open then I would check for a blocked air filter. It won't hurt to go for a quick spin on a hard surface with the filter removed. Then the plug, quite often the 2 stroke plug will seem to work outside the engine but get a little wobbly under pressure so just change it (unless you just did so). If none of this helps then check for a blocked muffler by loosening the bolts between the muffler and the pipe to create a 1/2 inch gap.
Finally if you are still slow you will need to test the cylinder compression.

>120 psi = good
100 - 119 = getting worn
<99 reach for the check book.

By the way, handsome cart there.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave. I picked it up last year from the local cart shop for $500. I have been watching this site waiting for my chance to get at this thing. My wife finally cracked under pressure and now another 1000 later and were still at 10 mph. She hasn't had a chance to drive it yet with the new stuff but if I can't make a noticable difference besides the lift and tires it could be along time before she agrees to let me mod her cart anymore. The new carb should be here today. To anwser your questions the butterfly is opening all the way. I've read some on the bbq muffler idea and might try that if the gap between pipe and muffler suggestion works. I haven't taken a compression test yet but hope to get to that in the morning. I'll keep ya posted. Is it true there are marathons like mine runnin 20 mph? That's my goal but it seems along way off at this rate. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by felber61 View Post
I disconnected the governor at the carb
Think I may have found the issue here ^^.

The governor is on the differential, not the carb - possibly you just unhooked the choke.

BTW, cooking the muffler and double checking free movement of the throttle is a good idea as well.

FWIW I can get my "golf" cart up to 18 MPH with stock tires and stock belt.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I hope you figure yours out,,i've got the same problem, have for awhile. Maybe if you get yours fixed i can try what you do to get yours up and running. Good luck with it.
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Night
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My cart is at 20MPH now that I've had some help from here. Slowly but sure the speed went up.

Thanks
Mark
Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Scooter,

The governor on mine sits on the rear axle and the clutch pushes it and the cable goes to the carb. I took the keeper off that cable so that way when the clutch pushes the governor it won't pull the throttle back.

I put the new carb on and still no major increases. I have a shorter belt coming since that seems to be a well talked about item and I'll test the the muffler by puttin that gap between pipe and muffler as suggested before the belt gets here.

I also am going to put an aftermarket filter on since with the lift my original set up isn't lined up like before but I don't believe thats the problem because it ran the same before the lift.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the clarification Felber - that makes a lot more sense.

Have you tried running it on jack stands (or with the drive belt off) to see if your governor disconnect is working correctly? If so, and you don't see the governor reining in the throttle, my next thought is RPMs - are you turning enough?

Then we get to the usual suspects of fuel supply and compression. If your engine hasn't been rebuilt, it could be a bit tired. Might be worth doing a compression test. Also, without a rebuild, you could be losing some fuel pressure through the crank seals - while running on the jackstands or without a belt, spray some WD-40 into the clutch side seal, and try to get some behind the fan. If the rev's go up, you may have an inadequate fuel supply to turn the revs you need.

Also, you mentioned you changed the clutch - is it possible that the clutch isn't holding tight under load? Back on the jack stands and with the belt on, do you see any belt slippage or clutch slippage?

Just some troubleshooting ideas.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay folks I haven't been keeping you up to date as promised so I figured I'd give you one big catch up reply. Put the new carb on and it did little to help anymore than the reliability. So after a brow beating from the wife I left her cart alone temperarily. With some help from fate it backfired and blaaaa nothing. So after some convincing and time to think it over and read this site over the winter and spring I talked her into letting me at it again so it wasn't just a pretty garage trophy. The compression was lower than mentioned above so out came the checkbook and "the look" Instead of just a top end since it is an 1987 I opted to go for the gold and do top and bottom. Just got it completed last night and WOW!! It took some time and a good friend with a press but she's all back together now and I leaned toward the cautious side with a 32:1 ratio since it was around the dirtbike race trailer. Never did I think the cart was gonna see speed but with a gps speedo on my phone she hit 19mph and the starting and throttle response is amazing! My wife had a grin ear to ear...I think I can give the doghouse back to the dog and life is good. I owe a tremendous thank you to all that helped out with the trouble shooting as this cart is now gonna be a family toy for years to come. I'm sure I'll be back but with friends comes knowledge and you fellas will be forever considered friends and heros to my wife and I.
:thum bup:
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A few points.Do Not Run the engine with the belt off,if it revs up,it can over-travel the clutch and cause quite a bit of possibly permanent damage to the clutch.Mix the fuel 128:1(1oz./gal.)If you run it real hard,mix 100:1(1-1/2oz. per.gal.)Running the mix heavier than that will cause more fouling and muffler-clogging than you will want to deal with.I beat mine terribly for 4-yrs. at 100:1,it still runs fine and doesn't smoke.The biggest power-killer on a Marathon 2-stroke is the Primary-Clutch.The older clutches had a large aluminum-cover with 3 bolts,on this style,remove the cover,add a 3/16" shim under the spring and it will be a nite/day difference from before the shim.Mine GPS'd at 23mph with 22" tires,open-element filter,and Shimmed-Primary.Nothing else was done,stock belt,and stock secondary-clutch.Check the crank-seals as recommended earlier,make sure the throttle and choke are both working properly.A choke that is partly-closed is just as bad as a throttle that doesn't open fully.Also try a light shot of WD-40 on the Secondary-Clutch.Only spray it into the spring-area,If its' dry and binding,it won't slide properly,preventing it from Up-Shifting,and limiting speed.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO