lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 2002 Yamaha G16 Gas Cart won't start after winter

PLease, please help, My cart has been garaged all winter has always started faithfully however now on depressing the accelerator although it cranks (little belt goes round) the big belt doesn't engage hence engine does not start. Have checked and replaced the spark plug have checked the battery and have tried to jump start - no luck. Would really appreciate some help !!
greg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha G16 Gas Cart won't start after winter

Does it try to fire at all? This is key, to determine if it is ignition or fuel related.
From the little info you have provided, I would think fuel, because the ignition would be a coincidence. But verify that you have fire to the plug.

When you put it away for the winter did you put some stabil in the tank?
If you didn't, then I would drain the tank and the carb, put in fresh gas, providing you have spark.

This modern crap gas will go bad in three months some times. I put stabil in everything if it is going to set even a month, including my pick up. It is a fall and spring ritual with all the small gas motors at my place.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Second that what HemiED posted. I spent $200.00 plus getting my cart up and running due to letting it sit with no stabil in the tank. Plus running regular gas and not premium caused more problems than I ever thought.
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNeon View Post
Second that what HemiED posted. I spent $200.00 plus getting my cart up and running due to letting it sit with no stabil in the tank. Plus running regular gas and not premium caused more problems than I ever thought.
Could you explain what problems you had? I've wondered if I should use premium since the cart can sit for months without running.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Could you explain what problems you had? I've wondered if I should use premium since the cart can sit for months without running.
Off topic, but I was just reading you sig.

I was just out to Virginia Beach last week visiting my Wife's family. I was in the Navy 68-73, so we were at the same time for a while. Met her while stationed there at NAS Norfolk.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiED View Post
Off topic, but I was just reading you sig.

I was just out to Virginia Beach last week visiting my Wife's family. I was in the Navy 68-73, so we were at the same time for a while. Met her while stationed there at NAS Norfolk.
I was at D&S Piers and the Main Base.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
I was at D&S Piers and the Main Base.
Those were sure the good old days!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:

For about 2 years I let the cart sit between seasons in the storage shed. I was using regular gas and never really gave it a thought since it always ran each spring. Last season, I got it out and it took forever to run, plus after it did run awhile or so of cruising, it would stop and just putt and spit. Gas would come out of the carb and drip everywhere. Cleaned carb but not so well as it never fixed the problem.

I contacted Plowman's (site sponsor) for advice from reading other posts here about his parts/advice. Sent him my carb and it was truly a mess from the gas and sitting. Don, told me that the regular gas has more moisture in it so when it sits it accumulates with the change of the weather thus causing build-up in the carb. Plus running cheap gas also causes more gumming and varnishes quicker. Premium gas is much better, very little moisture content, plus running stabil through the carb and tank before storing also helps from any build-up or gumming.

I also drained the gas tank and cleaned it out, changed gas filter and purged my gas line before attach back to the carb. I had a lot of crap floating in the gas lines and tank. Surprised me with the amount of much stuff that came out from the years it was in there. I got my cart used so I assumed the original owner did not do much to it. Maintenance is a must for sure and will save you a lot in the long run. Also, change you oil as well each season, does wonders for the engine and how it runs. My cart with the re-worked carb and few other items from Plowman's runs better than anything. Not a plug for Don and Plowman's but anyone one here will tell you he is the go to guy for parts and advice.
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies - I have checked the spark plug which has a healthy spark so it appears you are absolutely correct that it is a fuel problem. The buggy is turning over on depressing the accelerator however on inspection of the fuel line after the fuel filter which is transparent it is clear that there is no fuel moving up the line at at all ! I have disconnected fuel line after fuel filter and when I suck the fuel does come up so there's no blockage. I am beginning to suspect a problem with the carb - do u think this is correct. I think I will remove air filter box and attempt to inspect carburettor - do u agree ? Thank u very much for your help ! Will update with progress !
greg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1971 View Post
Thanks for the replies - I have checked the spark plug which has a healthy spark so it appears you are absolutely correct that it is a fuel problem. The buggy is turning over on depressing the accelerator however on inspection of the fuel line after the fuel filter which is transparent it is clear that there is no fuel moving up the line at at all ! I have disconnected fuel line after fuel filter and when I suck the fuel does come up so there's no blockage. I am beginning to suspect a problem with the carb - do u think this is correct. I think I will remove air filter box and attempt to inspect carburettor - do u agree ? Thank u very much for your help ! Will update with progress !
If you have no fuel moving, it isn't the carb's fault. Check for a cracked vacuum line from the engine block to the fuel pump. The fuel pump works off of crankcase pressure. Also, make sure your oil plug is screwed in tight, if it is loose, you will not develop a proper amount of crankcase pressure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha