lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha G16 Gas Cart won't start after winter

You can take a small bottle of gas after cleaning carb. with the top of the air box off and the filter out and cart in neutral, while trying to start let gas drip or pour small amounts of gas in the top of the carb. when and if it starts see if it keeps running when you stop putting gas in if not keep putting it in for awhile it might eventually start running on its own. Sort of like priming a pump!!!! It worked for me when I first got mine.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

I have found a small crack on the pipe from the fuel pump to the carb and fixed it. Integrity of pipes checked still no fuel moving. I then removed fuel tank which did have some water in it replaced with fresh gas and replaced fuel filter still no fuel moving!! Next checked fuel pump and suspected that the rear black diaphragm was not working so i replaced the fuel pump guess what still no fuel moving. I took off pipe to crankcase and there is a small pulsing vacuum. I have replaced pipe and checked the other end of the vacuum pipe to the the pump there is no loss of pulse. I am at a loss cannot understand what is wrong ! Please send me you're thoughts ! One question on replacing fuel pump would air in the pipes stop the vacuum or should the system be able to withdraw the fuel without any bleeding. In other words do I need to do anything to help it get started thx for you're continuing help
greg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

What's the level in the fuel tank? Maybe the new pump needs to be primed??

Just guessing...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Fuel level is about 3 inches, could u explain how to prime the pump ?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Not sure--like I said, just guessing. Maybe try this. Fill up the tank, remove the pick up tube from the pump and fill it with gas. That might work.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

these little pumps don't pump much, it takes quite a while to lift the fuel from the tank to the carb,

If it was me i'dd use a piece of hose and rig a gravity flow fuel supply to the carb . leaving the lines hooked up to the fuel pump, that way you can see if it will run, and if it ever hits it will make the fuel pump work.

or take the air tube off from the carb and try start/running it on starter fluid, but get the best stuff out there.

keep in mind the way these little pumps work, they actuall pump more when cranking than when the engine is running.
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH View Post
You can take a small bottle of gas after cleaning carb. with the top of the air box off and the filter out and cart in neutral, while trying to start let gas drip or pour small amounts of gas in the top of the carb. when and if it starts see if it keeps running when you stop putting gas in if not keep putting it in for awhile it might eventually start running on its own. Sort of like priming a pump!!!! It worked for me when I first got mine.

Take the gas line off of the filter on the tank side and fill the filter up, I used a rubber bulb like they suck snot out of a baby's nose to fill mine up and then do the above, it should work great!!!!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I might add that a dipstick with a bad rubber seal or one that isn't pushed in all the way, as well as a leaking valve cover gasket, would cause the problem as well.
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1954 View Post
I might add that a dipstick with a bad rubber seal or one that isn't pushed in all the way, as well as a leaking valve cover gasket, would cause the problem as well.
Exactly, that is what is weird to me about this set up. Sealing up the engine to maintain crankcase pressure is just the opposite of what we are normally used to. We seal them up to keep them from leaking oil, but don't want crankcase pressure.

Suggestion: Prime the carb, poring some gas in it and maybe it will pull some fuel. Also, put more than three inches of gas in the tank, pulling it up there far is probably not easy to start with. Once it gets the lines full, it shouldn't be an issue.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Update - Hooray thank u all for you're kind help ! Read on this site that the line from the engine to fuel pump is notoriously sensitive even one hardened end can lose the reqd vacuum. Checked it's integrity for third time cut off both ends , still no joy. Replaced it with a car fuel line which is slightly thicker and hey presto fuel arrived to pipe leading to carb. Cleaned carb with carb cleaner and buggy started. Many many thanks to you all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha