lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
brodave12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Questionable Mechanic

I'll give him a pass at the moment, but I thought it might help someone in the Jax, FL area to hear about this experience.

I noticed my cart sprung an oil leak about a week before our Easter party this year. As I planned to give rides around the neighborhood in the cart and had numerous other things to do in preparation of the party, I decided to call a "professional" to repair the leak.

I called Specialty Cartz & Partz on Dunn Ave. in Jax, FL. Joe, the mechanic answered the phone, and after a lengthy discussion told me he could do the repairs for $250.00 (out the door). I thought it was a very reasonable price, so I borrowed a neighbor's trailer and took the cart to the shop.

The engine had very little, if any oil in it due to the leak, so I poured about 1/2 qt. into it so I could drive it on the trailer. When I got to the shop, the mechanic talked to me for a minute or two, asked if there was anything else I wanted done to it, and I told him, "No, just fix the leak and get it back to me ASAP", due to the planned party.

Then, Joe the mechanic jumped in the cart and rolled it off the trailer without starting it. So far, so good. But... Then he started it and roared to the back of the shop - at full speed - to await repairs. I worried that he could have blown the engine right there.

He came back, and said goodbye, Folks!

I asked about a ticket or receipt or something and he said, "Not necessary". So, I left it with him.

That was Friday. Monday morning, he called and told me I had a valve coming through the head, and tried to sell me a used engine. I asked him what posessed him to take the engine apart, and he claimed it was because my engine model is notorious for this problem. I don't know about that, but I resented him taking it upon himself to do more than I asked.

When I came to pick up the cart the next day, I went through the front office, and asked to pay my bill. The told me the charge was $486.00! I was shocked! I told them that Joe had quoted me $250 on the phone, and never changed it.

The guy from the office took me back to talk with Joe. After a short argument where I was getting warmer and about to get really hot under the collar, the office guy could tell that Joe was lying, so he took me back up front, and charged me the $250.

Since I got the cart back, It is harder to get started when cold, and doesn't have quite as much pep as it used to.

Before I take another cart to this shop, I will read the manuals and buy the tools to do the work myself. It looked like what my step-father used to call "Highway Robbery".

Brother Dave
brodave12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Questionable Mechanic

WELCOME 12 to BGW you'll learn more here than most shops know. Don't get me wrong the site sponsors on here are great and will help with all your questions and have the parts to repair your own cart. We have all the info needed and will be happy to assist in any way FREE OF CHARGE just shout out. Sorry about your experience but were not all that way. JUST MY OPINION.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

WOW Dave sorry for your troubles. It amazes me how these shops get away with this stuff.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
brodave12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your support, guys. I really appreciate it.

I used to do my own mechanic-ing, but I have been out of it for many years, and am too old now to enjoy getting my knuckles busted and going to church with dirt under my fingernails, haha.
brodave12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Looks like you may have to start washing your hands before church on Sundays again.Pray for the poor sole that tries to rip people off

LOU GOD BLESS
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO