lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
omar8rastas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Tune up info 89' workhorse

I would greatly appreciate info on the tune up materials i would need to get my EZGO up and running. I have an 89' workhorse with a 244cc 3pg 2stroke robin engine. and all local mechanics cant seem to figure out the oil type, spark plugs, and other stuff. it also backfires even after they attempted to fix it.

any info would be greatly appreciated.
omar8rastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tune up info 89' workhorse

First, if the oil injection system hasn't been removed, now's a good time to do it - on the intake elbow (between the carb and the engine) there's a banjo bolt where the oil feed comes in - remove it. Plug the hole in the intake with a 6mm bolt. Start mixing 2-stroke oil in your gas at the ratio of one oz of 2-stroke oil to 1 gallon of gas (128:1) - THIS will save you the headache of blowing your engine because a 23-year-old oiling system stopped working (which they almost inevitably do) ...

NGK BP5HS - that's your spark plug, Track them down, they're FAR better than any of the Champion, Autolite, etc replacements.

As to the backfiring, it depends on when it's doing it. Is it fairly random? If so, start with new exhaust and muffler gaskets. If it's only happening when you're driving (and poredominantly when you let off the gas and coast, then press the gas again) it means your carb butterfly isn't closing all the way - easily fixed by installing a small spring (like the type from a clicky pen) between the carb arm and the cable stop on your throttle cable - this will ensure your carb closes up when you let off the gas, which will stop the engine from sucking fuel while coasting (that's the fuel that ignites and goes BANG when you step on the gas again, which refires the ignition)

Here's another place to go (and actually just a good idea all around) - unhook the fuel line and cables from your carb and remove the 2 10mm nuts holding it on - now, following this diaghram, remove ALL the circled jets and blow them completely clean using a can of spray carb cleaner (make sure ALL the little holes aren't dirty or obstructed) as well as the needle valve and seat (also circled)

After all of that, if you're still backfiring, it's time to look for an exhaust leak of some sort, generally in the bottom of the exhaust pipe (from bottoming out and scraping the ground) OR in the muffler itself, generally a byproduct of 28 years of rust.

Keep us posted on the progress
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
omar8rastas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tune up info 89' workhorse

Thank you this is very helpful. i will get this underway and keep you posted on the results.
btw: the backfire happens only when i decelerate
Thanks again!
omar8rastas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
244cc 3pg 2stroke engine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO