lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
hardballcoaster
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g2 to g9 battery not charging

First time golf cart buyer for the camp grounds..I am not sure what Yamaha cart I have..I have looked under and over the thing and no # to be found its from the years of a g2 to a g9 those parts seem to fit..So here is my problem..Battery went dead.. bought a new one and it went dead after aday of driving.. charged it up and want went dead again...I was told the starter generator was bad (by someone at the cp)..I bought a new s/g and a new voltage regulator..I didnt but the new s/g on but I but the v/r on and wired it right ( if its sittin in front of u wires go from right..black,green,red)... Still no charge to the battery..then I found from these forms the s/g was wired wrong ,he had A1 going to the battery and the F2 to the relay ***'y( is that the soleniod?) A2 and F1 was jump right..and yes I drove the cart befor I swiched the cabel....... OK .here is what I have after swiching the cables ........The starter generator test at 6.7ohm green wire to red ohms test..is that bad??............................ With cart running voltage at the battery is 11 to 12.8 volts if I take the positive cable off with cart running I get 14 to 15(with meter on the +cable) volts on the + to - ...WoW I think I just answered my own question ...Piss on walmarts junk batteries I will take it back and get a
new one and post back...but any thoughts on this would be great...Thanks
hardballcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
hardballcoaster
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha g2 to g9 battery not charging

ok I didnt get a new battery I just put the charger on it..when i checked the battery after the charge it reads 13.5 volts???...and now I do get a reading off the battrey of 17.8 volts spike and it comes down to 16v at full rev in neutal...Befor i take the battery back for a replacement I would like to know if this is right..I read on the forms that 14 to 15 volts is what you want..any answers would help
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What you usually see is around 12-13v at idle and it ramps up with rpm to near 14.5v iirc would have to verify with a manual. The G2/9 do have a regulator on them on the left rear fender well. The old metal can ones you can adjust the newer ones are solid state. However it runs off the little wires out the side of the s/g, not the large battery cables. If it goes way high at high rpm it can overcharge the battery, typical it will boil the water out and rust out your frame and wreck the battery after a while. If it does not hit 14v or very close it will not charge much. They are 15A I think at 4K rpm, max output.

A new battery would run it for many hours maybe a month unless you were crawling on the starter with the engine not running. I ran mine on a jumper pack for a month last fall so I could buy a new battery this summer and not have it sit there all last winter doing nothing but getting weaker. The last two batteries I had were used and would not start a car in the winter, were free lol, and I ran them 2-3yrs each. Unless you run accessories that take a lot of power, the cart takes little long as it starts up fairly good. If your voltage is going up it is charging.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
hardballcoaster
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply sho305..Im going to take the battery back its under warranty ...but the question I do have, if the battery drops below 12volts to 11.8volts the cart tries to start but wont is this the norm???..Plus..is the red wire on the voltage regulator is that the charging wire?? I did check and the only soleniod that fits this golf cart is a g2 so it must be a G2...sorry but i will try to pick all brains...allso does anyone know a site i can download the manual on a g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha