lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
rush1169
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Selection HELP

I have a Tomberlin EMerge E4 - limo 'golf cart' that started acting up in a way that seemed battery related. . .

So, I checked the book at it said I needed 8x 6V batteries. I picked up 8x Trojan T-105s from my local shop and installed them. When I got done, I had 2 batteries left over. The cart only had 6 batteries. I returned the 2 extras and the 6x old batteries. I never even looked at what they were nor did I double-check the book. I just figured I read something wrong.

Anyway, I did a charge and ran the cart and got the same symptoms as the old batteries. So, I went to the troubleshooting guide and the first step was to check the voltages. . .that's when I realized the problem.

The cart should have 48V worth of batteries. All the single-row Tomberlin carts call for 6x 8V batteries but the limo calls for 8x 6V batteries. My cart, MUST have had the 6x 8V battery arrangement from the dealer.

So, I need some clarification. My first thought was to find the proper arrangement of 8x 6V batteries, but I couldn't readily find 6V batteries that would be sufficiently smaller to physically fit in the battery area. My next thought was to just go buy a new set of 6x 8V batteries to put it back the way it was.

Some background: This cart was bought during the 'free golf cart' tax credit period. As such, the dealer was literally selling thousands of these and had to get them delivered by year end before the credit expired. My guess is the dealer just 'cheated' on the limo version and used 6x 8V instead of the specified 8x 6V.

My questions are: What are the implications of using 6x 8V instead of the spec'd 8x 6V? Would the charger/controller care? If I were to find 6V batteries that are small enough to fit, would the cart need a different charger/controller? If I can go ahead with 6x 8V batteries from this list:

T-860, (? Min 25A), 90 Min 56A, 150Ah 20Amps, 56 lbs
T-875, 295 Min 25A, 117 Min 56A, 170Ah 20Amps, 63 lbs
T-890, 340 Min 25A, 132 Min 56A, 190Ah 20Amps, 69 lbs

. . .will the T-890 be the best choice? Why would anyone want the other two 'lessor' batteries?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
rush1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts