lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
toadh21
Not Yet Wild

Default newbe to golf carts

hi guys i am new to the golf cart world. i purchased a 1984 e-z-go with a 2 stroke that needs work. i was wondering how hard it is to convert to a 4 stroke and what all had to be done. thanks
toadh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: newbe to golf carts

with an 84, it's going to be relatively expensive. The 2-stroke engines run in reverse (backwards) to give you a reverse gear (the 4-strokes don't) so first, you'll either lose reverse entirely or have to replace the rear end with an 89-up style (figure at leats $700 for that alone) ... Second, the 2PG engine is actually a bolletproof little SOB when it's together correctly, and will literally run CIRCLES around the 295/350 4-strokes without any mods other than adjusting out the governor cable. A complete, 100% rebuild on your current engine will cost you around $300 plus a little time and effort and will result in an engine that should serve You well for 15 years or more, easily ...

Add into the equasion that you'll need an entirely (almost) new electrical system, exhaust, some fabrication skills and quality time with a welder, cutting, etc to even BEGIN the 4-stroke conversion, and You'll soon find the project will likely cost You double the value of the completed cart at a minimum, PLUS the value of the cart with a 4-stroke isn't any better than with the OEM engine - best to start looking at getting that 244 running right, it's a lower investment and a better bet all around for that cart

This has of course, been MY opinion and your mileage may vary
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

im doing what bcm^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^said

welcome to the right place for good help and nice folks
and correct info as 30 people the past week said the 2 strokes are tough as heck.
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Welcome!!The Marathon is the easiest to convert,since they changed almost nothing from the 70's to the end of production in 94'. Find a Ez-Go 4-stroke rear with the shifter and cables,it will bolt to your stock swing-arm and the brakes will hook to your cables.Then either build a mount for your engine of choice,or find a complete 4-stroke donor-cart and swap the drivetrain and electrics over to your cart.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Pachanga is right, in that it isn't a terribly HARD swap, I just wanted to reiterate the cost issues ... Finding a cart with a good engine, exhaust, rear end, electrical, etc will definitely do the trick - but isn't that pretty much just buying another cart (see where I'm going with this?)

Besides, seeing the look on the 4-stroke guys faces when you're literally passing them on a hill going UP - now THAT's something, LOL
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
toadh21
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys i believe i will rebuild this 2 stroke and go from there the only part that didnt come with it was a muffler. is there anywere you can find used ones or make something else work
toadh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO