lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation When charging cart is it safe to leave converter on? 48v to 12v

I just installed a converter strictly for my stereo and possibly a future rearview mirror w/light. I hooked it up with its own toggle switch so i have full control of it rather then the ignition key. I also have fuses coming out of every positive line on the converter going to the battery. Is it safe to leave the converter on while charging the cart or will it ruin my radio or the charger itself? I would just shut it off however one day i could forget or if i dont need to i wouldnt want to lose time and preset stations on radio although thats no big deal really. 48v to 12v charger 25a. My cart has (6) 8v batteries totaling 48v. Thanks.
the_freshmaker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: When charging cart is it safe to leave converter on? 48v to 12v

High voltage point on a 48v recharge is 63-67v. Your reducer may not be able to handle this input. I recommend you turn it off before charging.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the info. I thought maybe the 15 amp fuses i put between the battery and the converter would simply blow rather than ruin the converter when charging. Not true though?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, the fuse is only going to blow when the draw exceeds it's capacity for X amount of time. It will not prohibit 60+v from passing through.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Very interesting and good to know. Last question I can think of... If the charging can destroy the converter i can only assume it will continue to travel up the line and destroy my radio as well?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your converter should have a high limit in it's specs. Like " Scott " said, if the charging voltage exceeds the high limit, I'd turn it off. As for the radio or other accessories being damaged, as long as the converters input is within it's high limit range, it won't increase the output voltage. That's a nice feature of a converter. It will maintain a pretty steady output voltage, even when the input varies.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Here is the info on my converter. "Converts Input of 26V-60V to Output of 12V DC. Includes Wiring Instructions. 25A. 300W."
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

the_freshmaker5, just a suggestion......I have one of ScottyB's converters......but I am/was in the same boat you are, and did the same thing and put a toggle switch for the entire converter, JUST IN CASE. but I also put a LIGHT on dash (close the the key) so it would be shining and I won't forget it to turn it off.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Ya i put my switch up in the head unit that i mounted on the ceiling (see picture). I put a switch for the positive and a switch for the memory constant but neither of the lights light up on the switch when they are on and they are brand new. I would think its because i didnt hook a ground to the switch but it cant be because i have a 3rd switch under the seat which turns the converter off and that is a different brand switch and lights up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5n4embq8...2020.10.45.jpg
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I were you, I would put a relay in that only supplies power to the converter when the cart is turned on, but you can keep your switch to 'bypass' the relay for when you are parked but want to run the radio. That's how my converter is connected (no bypass switch, though, as it only powers lights, horn, etc.) More often than not you will be leaving that switch in the 'off' position. You could even wire an LED near the charge port that warns you it is still connected..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging converter safe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts