lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2006 Western Model 400 need parts and help

I have a 2005 western 2 seater and just bought a 2006 4 seater. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with. I'm in Florida and can't find anyone who actually "knows" anything.

My 2 seater runs 30MPH flat out. The 4 seater won't exceed 20. It even seems to stop accelerating when you hit a down hill. As if it has a limiter on it. I read some carts are capped at 20 in the speed controller programing. Who can help me with this or is there something more I need to know?

I would like to put a wood grain dash on it with the glove box doors. I've heard these carts use a lot of EZ-Go stuff, would and EZGO dash work? If so what model?

When I run either cart slow for a long period of time the controller overheats. Any way to help this problem? I thought about

Where or how can I tap into a 12v and 24v power for LED lighting and stereo? Does this come from the controller or jumper connections on the batteries or a power reducer sold by some of the cart companies? Seems like a power reducer would drain the batteries more evenly. On my 2 seater I replaced the headlights with LED but when I accelerate they dim. They draw less power than the original lights.

There are a few other things I'd like to do with it but need some information first. Anyone have a good dealer in Florida or really anywhere that has intimate knowledge of these carts and can help me get some parts and information?
sloppydogdrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 Western Model 400 need parts and help

These carts were built on Ezgo rolling chassis. The body is uniquely Western. The dash would not fit unless you removed the front end.

So - both cart going into thermal shutdown. Please identify which drive system each cart is. What voltage is each cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Both are 42 volt.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

By drive system do you mean motor and controller too? I've never been under either cart but I can jack it up and see if I can see the motor or some identification marks?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Western made PDS and Series drive carts. IF your shifter is a rocker switch mounted on the dash you have a PDS cart and you also have a run/tow toggle switch under the seat or next to the charge port?

Series drive carts used the old fashion lever below the seat by your leg.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

The two seater has the lever so it is the Series. The 4 seater has the rocker switch with the toggle as you mentioned so it is the PDS.

Can the top speed be adjusted in the controller to run faster on the Series cart? My brother has a 2 seater PDS and his runs almost as fast as my Series cart.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thank you for your help by the way. Trying to find anyone who knows anything about the western carts or that is even willing to look at them has been a challenge!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

So I found a dealer that used to sell Western and had some good information. I'll post it here incase it helps anyone. Unfortunately he is on the other side of the country so he could not physically do much for me but gave me some information.

2002 - 2006 were known to have issues with the magnets falling out of the motors. He said that was an easy fix with EZ-GO magnets.

The onboard charger is a Delta Q. Tomberlin uses the same charger and any Tomberlin dealer can program the chargers.

If one of his customers wanted more speed he would change out the controller. I had to exit the call so I was not able to get into depth on this with him yet. Seems like if you have two of the same cart and one is 10MPH faster that it should be possible to program the speed control to take off the limits.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The western carts were assembled right here in So Cal. We are familiar with these carts. Every nice community and country club here has a bunch of them.

The series cart is not a speedster. Bigger controller, solenoid, cables, etc will improve torque but, speed is only improved with a voltage increase or new motor. Typically Western used high speed motors.

The PDS carts will respond to a controller upgrade with more speed. This is mainly due to the lack of rpm limiting in the aftermarket control. 25 mph is easily attained in this cart. We have the upgrade parts for these carts.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Ah your a dealer and knowledgable. I will give you a call probably next week. Just a little more info. We have three PDS carts and one series cart. Two of the PDS with old batteries that will run about 30mph. The 4 seater PDS runs about 25 with new batteries and not nearly as much acceleration. It really feels weak and takes time to wind up to speed and hills kill it. The last cart is a series cart. It is the fastest with new batteries it runs about 32, pulls there quick and accelerates quickest of all the carts. I'd like to get the 25mph cart to have more acceleration, less drop on hills, top speed of 25 is fine but 30 would be better, would be really nice to have a low and high speed setting. My Star cart had a low and high. I could run slow in low for hours without overheating.

Talk to you in a couple days! Thanks for chiming in to help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts