lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Default Burning smell, glowing wire attachment

I have a 2000 club car with V-glide...recently had all batteries replaced (probably has nothing to do with the problem but wanted to mention)...
Was driving it today and noticed a burning smell so I lifted the seat and noticed on of the bolts holding down the cable attached to the resistor group assembly was glowing. None of the other 5 were glowing. Any ideas as to why this may be happening? By the way, I got the name of the parts from the sticky wiring diagrams...
Thanks
Drgordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Default Re: Burning smell, glowing wire attachment

It may have been loose.
DieselPlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cable end could be loose or dirty, bad connection would be my guess.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, so my plan is to replace all the older wires and bolts to freshen things up...sound good?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgordon13 View Post
Thanks, so my plan is to replace all the older wires and bolts to freshen things up...sound good?
AND be sure to wire brush all the contact points clean. Continuity is everything. If the current can't pass through the metal to metal contact points it will try to jump through the air gap - creating lots of heat & melting things. Think arc welder.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help...it is pretty bad under there...I have begun taking off all the rusted bolts and am going to try to reassemble the whole under side...glad its almost winter...think this is a good time to clean the whole thing...lots of corrosion...more questions to follow!!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Drgordon13
Not Yet Wild

So I think I am going to have to replace the entire resistor coil system including all the nuts, bolts, standoff resistor coils, all the speed coils,and the MTG. board as it was all rusted and some of the speed coils were actually cracked. I found a great diagram of how it all fits together on GolfCartsDirect.com. Looks to be pretty straight forward...anything I need to know before getting started? Any other sites to check out for cheaper parts?
Also, should this help out with overall performance with my cart?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm a newbie here but I have the same set-up as you, and almost everyone I've talked to has recommended not putting any money into these old resistor set-ups. They say your best bet is to save up the $679 for a Carts Unlimited solid state conversion (or more if you want a better package with better performance).

That said, I think it's a good idea to get it cleaned up until you can afford to do more. It may not be worthwhile to replace ALL of the cabling from the V-Glide to the resistor board if you plan on upgrading soon. Just replace the high-step (wide open throttle) cabling, and try to avoid using partial throttle for too long. The coils are bypassed at wide open throttle, so replacing them won't affect your performance when the pedal's on the floor.

Last edited by IronGypsy; 11-04-2016 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Edited; all coils bypassed at WOT
IronGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

All coils are by-passed at WOT.

The primary issue with that setup when You add larger wheels and therefore increase the current through the system is the VGlide.

The old 5 solenoid system was a better design as far as high current handling.

The VGlide and the mechanical FNR are a poor choice for high current due to the lack of "pressure" on the contact points.

If You have a good running system, one option is to install a by-pass for WOT so the VGlide is entirely off the system:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...eed_bypass.jpg
I definitely agree that replacing several of the components of the resistor assembly is not a good financial decision.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Drgordon13, look into the solid state conversion...it is night and day from a resistor cart, lots more power and torque. not to complicated to do, and since your resistors are "bad" might be the perfect time to switch. Check with ScottyB on here for more info.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car