lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
beanman
Not Yet Wild

Default Tires 27"?

Could I put 27” tire on my ezgo 2007 cart? It has Jakes 6” lift and 2” Thick Wheel Spacers.

It is a 36V PDS stock motor upgraded Alltrax controller, Solenoid Albright SW180 and 2 gauge wire. I will be upgrading the motor and going to 48V with in the next two years.
beanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tires 27"?

NOooo..... 27 inch tires will reduce torque (power) by 50 %
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
beanman
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks how about 25"? what size would you recommend? it's for off road use only.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Upgrade the V first. the PDS I hear lives a long and happy life on 42V. If you go 48V then eventually plan on a new motor.

Upping the V increases both torque and speed. Going with a larger tire will greatly reduce torque because it changes the effective gear ratio. The biggest tire most people do is 22 or 23 inches, but a lot of people are quite happy on stock height or going with a 20" tire.

There are several people on the forum that use their cart to hunt with. So if that is your intent, you can search the forums for their tire sizes.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have to have a 25 or 27 inch tire then you can get different gears for the rear diff to help bring the gear ratio back into spec.

You'll also need stronger rear hubs (known weak point) and your brakes won't work as well with that big a tire so you may want to upgrade to disc brakes at the same time.

Here is a link to the 24 and up club thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...4-up-club.html

But most of these are very heavily modified and one guy in there was talking about breaking rear ends on his cart on 26" tires...
Old 02-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 36v PDS cart was designed as a people mover. THe 2.5 hp motor and 36v system are nicely matched to the 2 seat 18" tire cart. A low cost sped chip was offered for 19 mph operation... in a time before manufactures started charging $100 for program upgrades.
When modifications (big tires) or application (specified use) gets too far away from the original design (a cart for golf) drive system modifications need to be made to meet the new demands.

Generally speaking the PDS responds well to the Alltrax XCT48400 control and solenoid upgrade on 36 or 42v. This will net up to 30 % more power and speeds up to 23mph on 36v. Tires around 20-22" are good although they reduce the power increase by 20%.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a chart I put together showing the mathematical speed increases and torque losses for various tire heights. The percentages of gain/loss are based on 18' tall tires, which is the stock height for most golf carts.

FWIW: It's the change in the tire's circumference that determines the change in speed while it's the change in the tire's radius the determines the change in torque, so the percentage increase/decrease are not the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire Height vs Speed and Torque.jpg (178.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
beanman
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks guys. sound like I will go with 20 to 22" size tire.

I unsure now about upgrading to 48V. I was planning on do that and getting the plum quick barracuda motor.

would this be a was on this cart?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanman View Post
I unsure now about upgrading to 48V. I was planning on do that and getting the plum quick barracuda motor.

would this be a was on this cart?
Before you upgrade the motor I'd upgrade to 42V. The stock motor should like 42V at 400 or fewer Amps.

Is it a waste on that cart? Heck no. Make it your own. If you were dead set on an AC drive cart or crazy mods you may get different answers. but get the look you want and just enjoy the ride. Upgrade to 42V at some point and have fun.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO