lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question DC wiring confusion

Hello! Very new to this. I've been on site for days learning & seeing things! Thanks!

95 Medalist 36 v, given to me by nursery owner w/ Textron 3 charger. All batts DOA. Had charger checked, arced when they tested it. They said the wires (Blk. was on pos. & Wh. was neg.) were wrong, that white is always positive in DC. The DC cord was switched out, end is now-Wh. is pos. & Blk. is neg.

Here is my confusion- the cart plug (receptical) has the white as neg and the black as positive. I traced the white wire to the solenoid (I think it's the solenoid, small chrome like can mounted on the heatsink in the controller area with 4 bolts sticking out) then to the positive battery connection.

So is the wiring wrong on the cart receptical? Should I switch the white wire to pos. and the blk. to neg.?

I'll try to attach pic! Also have looked at web manuals and there isn't enough info for me to completely understand the wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 055.jpg (58.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 054.jpg (68.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by D-A; 02-10-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: revision
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
ron67601
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: DC wiring confusion

Someone will be here soon that will know more about this. If I understand you right, that is the charger plug on the cart? If that is, then the wires should be going to the positive post and the other to the negative post on your batteries.
ron67601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry for the reply delay. I was trying to use the pic with art and had to paste in word. To large to attach then.

Yes the plug is the cart recepticle.
The white wire in it is on the neg side. It goes to the solenoid on the right in the picture. From there a 6 ga blk wire goes to the positive post on a battery.
The black wire in the cart plug goes to the top of the black box like thing (controller?) second from right in picture. From there a 6 ga black wire goes to the neg battery post.

Hope this helps clarify
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

I BELIEVE the solenoid has no polarity. But of course I could be wrong.

When you say receptacle, are you talking about the charger receptacle where you plug into the cart, or the receptacle that is physically mounted on the cart?
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The plug in my hand is off the cart. Mounted behind someones legs if sitting in the cart. It is where the charger would plug into.

Recap- charger DC end had white as NEG, black as POS. Cart shop said it was wrong and has been changed.

Now I see that the cart plug has the white as NEG and the black as POS. The white goes to the solenoid and then a 6 ga wire goes to the POS battery post. The black DC wire goes to the top of the black box (controller?) then a 6 ga wire goes to the NEG battery post.

Should the cart plug wires be switched to align colors with POS/NEG? Or is the wiring all wrong. Manual diagram pic shows a white wire going to the solenoid from "power harness" (DC cord?)
Old 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

took more pictures, hope this helps!

I used a gutter nail to point to the wires.

1st pic- shows where the white wire from the DC cord goes
2nd pic - shows the blk 6 ga wire to the battery POS post
3rd pic - shows where the blk DC cord wire goes
4th pic - shows the blk 6 ga wire goes to the NEG battery post

remember, I'm asking if the cart plug/recepticle is right (white as NEG, black as POS)

Or is there more wrong with everything you see?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 057.jpg (103.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 058.jpg (100.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 059.jpg (103.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart pics 060.jpg (96.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
ron67601
Not Yet Wild

The color of the wire is not the problem. The charge receptacle charges the batteries........not the solenoid. The positive wire goes to a positive post on one of the batteries in the pack. The negative wire goes to a negative post on then pack. The holder is marked with a "+" and a "-" sign, right? + goes to positive and - goes to negative.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ron I understand the basics of POS on POS etc

My first concern was that the charger DC cord end had white as NEG, a local shop checked it and it arced. They said the white was suppose to be POS not NEG. I switched the end on the charger so white is POS etc.

Now looking at the cart plug/recepticle, the white is again NEG (which lined up with the charger DC end. before local shop informed me it was wrong). So I was wondering if I needed to switch the white to POS on the cart recepticle?

The other issue - the cart recepticle white first goes to the solenoid, then a 6ga wire goes to the POS batt post. Maybe this is wrong for 2 reasons (I'm asking here)
1st- charger DC cord end is now white POS & blk NEG, so if plugged into cart which has white as NEG & blk as POS this may now arc or short?
2nd - The white DC wiring from cart recepticle first goes to the solenoid then POS batt post & the blk first goes to the controller box then the NEG post, is this correct?

Still confused, I believe the cart wires need to be switched. Not sure if they are run correctly after that! Diagrams do not show exact wiring layout
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

White is positive and black is negative. At least for me on my TXT. For me, the white wire from the charger receptacle mounted on the cart goes straight to the positive terminal on the first battery in the pack. The black wire goes straight to the negative terminal on the last battery in the pack. If need be, I would be happy to take pictures for you. And Ron is right. The charge receptacle should lead to the batteries not the solenoid.

Hope this helps.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
ron67601
Not Yet Wild

Ezgokid, do you think that caused damage to his solenoid or controller? He said it arced.

Tags
95 medalist, dc cord, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO