lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

Default Time for new batts? or something else

2007 CC with original batts. It is lifted. I bought it a little more than a year ago with the warning that the batts would last only about a year.

Everything points to needing new batts at this point, but...

I had been getting a good hour to 1.5 hour use out of the cart per charge evrytime until a couple months ago. My charger is in my garage and is set up on a GFCI outlet. I have had the following scenario happen twice. The GFCI gets tripped somehow and I am thinking that I am chargin the batts, however, I am only discharging them more until I have to push the cart back. Since then, I may only get 10 minutes of use from the cart before it just wont go. It just seems awful sudden to die like that.

So, should I just suck it up and get new ones, or can I salvage a little more life out of these.

Thanks,
Rod
lizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Time for new batts? or something else

So because the GFI trips the charging doesn't complete and you go out with less than a fully charged pack? Are you not looking at your in dash digital LED meter after a charge & before you leave?

Yes, running older batteries down to nothing +/- is the most common death sentence I see. It just seems to knock the crap out of them and they are less likely to recover than younger batteries.

Change the GFI, they get old and they get weak. Repeated tripping results in more frequent tripping. Charge your batteries more often to extend their useful life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardman View Post
2007 CC with original batts. It is lifted. I bought it a little more than a year ago with the warning that the batts would last only about a year.

Everything points to needing new batts at this point, but...

I had been getting a good hour to 1.5 hour use out of the cart per charge evrytime until a couple months ago. My charger is in my garage and is set up on a GFCI outlet. I have had the following scenario happen twice. The GFCI gets tripped somehow and I am thinking that I am chargin the batts, however, I am only discharging them more until I have to push the cart back. Since then, I may only get 10 minutes of use from the cart before it just wont go. It just seems awful sudden to die like that.

So, should I just suck it up and get new ones, or can I salvage a little more life out of these.

Thanks,
Rod

are they 12 volt or 8 volt batteries? if 12 volt and they are 5 years old thats about the lifespan of them so in that case i would change them......if they are 8 volt i would take some SG readings and have them fully charged and load tested and if you can put on a discharge machine........see where they are at.......8 volt batteries you might be able to get another 3 years out of them..maybe...... but its worth the time to see what kind of shape they are in..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
So because the GFI trips the charging doesn't complete and you go out with less than a fully charged pack? Are you not looking at your in dash digital LED meter after a charge & before you leave?

Yes, running older batteries down to nothing +/- is the most common death sentence I see. It just seems to knock the crap out of them and they are less likely to recover than younger batteries.

Change the GFI, they get old and they get weak. Repeated tripping results in more frequent tripping. Charge your batteries more often to extend their useful life.
Yup! Did that two weekends ago (too many blue thought cans) They charged back up without a problem, but my run time is quite a bit shorter than it was before...they didn't respond too good to that kind of abuse, this may be the knock out punch that ends the fight
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
Yup! Did that two weekends ago (too many blue thought cans) They charged back up without a problem, but my run time is quite a bit shorter than it was before...they didn't respond too good to that kind of abuse, this may be the knock out punch that ends the fight
Bite the bullet... I had an electrician tell me that you should never use a GFI outlet for devices that that draw continously as they overheat and trip and just plain ole wear out.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Like Scotty said, the GFI is probably weak and needs to be replaced. I'd consider replacing with a standard receptacle if you will be using it primarily for your charger.

Like Shadowman said, those batteries are old. If it is a 07 then they are 4-12V. You can charge and test them but I'm thinking they are at the end of their life cycle and need to be replaced.

I have a 07 and the batteries were replaced 8-10 months ago. I don't know what the condition was of the old batteries. I bought the cart with new batteries in it.

Another note: I can run my cart on and off all day long and never get below 50% charge with good batteries. I know that ammounts to more than 1.5 hr run time.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

I have two little girls and I have been a little busy with Christmas to even check on this post.

It is a 4-12v system.
The actual outlet it is plugged into is not GFCI, but all the outlets in my garage are set up on a GFCI circuit. My house is only 2 years old and I think that the GFCI's are now in the building code for garages.

I think I just need to suck it up and buy new ones. The price tag just disagrees with me right now. If it will be a couple months before I buy new batts, should I leave it alone until then, or should I disconnect the batts. It has a tow/run switch, maybe just flip it to "tow"?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your not gonna use it just put it in tow and then in a month throw charger on it..........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
lizardman
Not Yet Wild

Trojan T1275 a good battery?

I can get 4 for $500 OTD

If it is not a preferred battery, what is?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardman View Post
Trojan T1275 a good battery?

I can get 4 for $500 OTD

If it is not a preferred battery, what is?

Thanks,
Rod
Yup, thats the standard 12V battery for CC carts. Sounds like a good price too.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car