lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
07FX4BCE
Not Yet Wild

Red face Advice on Purchasing CC...Electric

I am in currently looking to buy an electric club car and am hoping to receive some much needed advice from everyone before I pull the trigger.

First off, I need an electric and have a limited budget at this time. The cart will be used for almost solely hunting at this time, so it will be connected to a charger, driven about a mile or two, sit outside for a few hours, then driven back the mile or two and hooked back up to the charger.

There would be a few instances where it might get driven for a few hours at a time while checking trail cameras and putting up stands.

At this time, I have only been able to find carts that have the Regen motor in them and am a little nervous about them after reading that people prefer the DS motors. Although, as I said, the cart wouldn't be creeping at slow speeds all day while in use.

One of the better deals I have found thus far is on a 2007 Club Car Precedent with 2011 batteries with the Regen Motor. The cart would get a 3" lift and 20" tires along with the flip down rear seat. Price would be right around $3000. Does this seem to be a good deal and would it suit my needs?

I will say that the area I hunt in has a few large hills to get to some of the stands I will need to get to. They are pretty long hills that are fairly steep, but are logging roads that we mow the grass for our trails. Obviously atvs have no problems in 2 wheel drive and a half ton pickup is able to go up the hill in 2 wheel as well (I know this isn't a great way to describe the hill).

My buddy just bought a 2003 Yamaha G22e cart with 2007 batteries (cart is very nice but we are concerned the batteries are weak) and we tried going up the hill that I am worried about. The cart made it about 80-85% up the hill before the tires stopped turning but it would go pretty well on flat ground.

So would a 2007 Club Car Precedent with Regen Motor and 2011 batteries make it all the way up the hill and suit my needs for hunting?

Thank you in advance for any and all help as it is greatly appreciated. (I also apologize for the lengthy post). Feel free to have a drink on me after reading!
07FX4BCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Advice on Purchasing CC...Electric

Well, I am new too, on my second cart but just now really learning. From what little I have read, it seems like the series motors are better which are in the older cars generally. Your post reminded me of one I just read the other day, about a guy who bought a Precedent for hunting. Not saying it will happen to you, but you might want to read it. If you shop around, you might beat that deal, but I know how hard it can be. They do pop up though if you are patient. Best of luck to ya.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...precedent.html
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
07FX4BCE
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply.

In the past I have read thru the post you linked, I don't know how relatable it is to me as the OP went straight from not being able to climb one hill to overhauling his cart. It doesn't say what issues he had with his cart or if the hill was just too steep for a stock cart to climb up.

I would rather not buy a cart and have to tear into it right away.

Does anyone else have any more advice about whether a Regen Precedent would work fine or they have as many problems as some say they do?

Again, thanks for any and all help!
07FX4BCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Mark@oxford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am new to this as well but I did sell the 4 wheeler for a golf cart this hunting season. I made the mistake of buying without any research. I bought a 99 CC series stock motor with lift kit and larger tires. It did have a 400 amp speed controller and new 6 ga wires.
Right off the bat I found a hill that i needed to climb but the cart would simply stop with a burnt electrical smell. Well it was obvious that that would not work for me and the smell had to be a BAD thing.
A new high torque motor 4 ga cables and a HD soleiond later the cart may stop on a hill but you can bet the wheels will still be spining.
My advise and what I would do if I had it to do over would be to buy a cheap cart and build it to work for what you want it to do.
Mark@oxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

First, I would say the deal you are showing is very reasonable. 3K$ usually gets you what you describe without new batteries, and new batts installed by dealer usually adds another 400$.

Second, I also purchased an upgraded 2007 Precedent for hunting in hilly terrain. I was worried about the hills so I invested the additional 1200$ in motor controller upgrades (D&D 12hp, Alltrax 500A Ctlr, 400A Solenoid, 4Gwire). It now climbs everything at the camp with ease and can navigate any washouts and mud holes short of bottoming the axle. One of the guys at the camp has a DS that is stock and it seems to do OK, but not quite as well. We do have tractors and a Polaris EV available in case a cart gets stuck however - mine has not gotten so yet. In any case I would advise upgrading the motor/controller if at all possible to give you peice of mind. Alternatively, just be mindful of your use of the motor in a regen cart - do not allow it to stall and keep throttling it - or get a series cart - which may also stall, but I gather you can continue pressing the throttle in vain without frying it!
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Mark@oxford
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

By the way the hill I that I could not climb was not all that steep but was a long hill. The stock motor just could not take the heat buildup. One time I parked it where it stopped, hunted, and when I came back I drove it the rest of the way up the hill.
Mark@oxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

You might want to talk to Scotty or David. They can tell you exactly what you'll need, I think that's what I would do either that or talk to a few of the guys who already have their buggies set up that way.

Keep in mind whatever you decide to do you can always upgrade if you have to, good luck have fun and most of all save some money you'll need it......
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Moonbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I wrote the article Brushpup mentioned. The hill my cart wouldn't climb is sand covered with tall grass. The type of land will make a huge difference. If that same hill had a hard surface road, I think the cart would have gone up it. I started with a new motor, though if I had followed the good advice I was given, I would have upgraded to 4 gauge cables first, then a new controller, then a new motor. I would have tried each upgrade before going to the next. However, once I had the new motor I was hooked on the power. Your cart's performance will depend on multiple factors, not just the inclination.
Moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car