lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
bb93gt
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default would this work for 12v memory on stereo?

For starters, I have a 2003 club car 48v cart. It has headlights and I'm putting in a stereo. If i bought a 25amp voltage converter to run my accessories and have it turn on/off by the key switch (which i would loose my stereo memory) could I buy a voltage reducer also, run it off 2 batteries (16 to 12v) to keep my stereo memory?
bb93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: would this work for 12v memory on stereo?

Yes.....Would it be cheaper and easier and better to buy a small Sealed 12 volt lead acid battery to run the memory. Memory doesn't use much, the converter itself probably uses more than the stereo memory and waists it as heat. It will draw the batts down quicker than the memory itself.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your gonna buy a voltage reducer do yourself a favor and get a 48 to 12 volt instead of a 16 to 12........you want to maintain a equal pack voltage as best you can.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb93gt View Post
For starters, I have a 2003 club car 48v cart. It has headlights and I'm putting in a stereo. If i bought a 25amp voltage converter to run my accessories and have it turn on/off by the key switch (which i would loose my stereo memory) could I buy a voltage reducer also, run it off 2 batteries (16 to 12v) to keep my stereo memory?
If you want to purchase an additional voltage reducer just for the memory of the radio, why not just hook up the first one without having it turn off from the keyswitch?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could try and see if one of your 8V batteries would operate the memory. I know there is a device for vehicles that uses a 9V battery to keep the memories active while you are removing the vehicle's battery. I would try that and if it won't work, then I'd use " roady89's " suggestion. I believe he is talking about an emergency light battery, or one for an exit sign. It's small enough to fit in a glove box.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Float a small pack of nimh batteries on the
constant hot but switch it anyway.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
bb93gt
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. If i didn't switch off the 48 to 12 converter, wouldn't it pull the batteries down a lot even when not in use? Has anyone tried to hook up the memory to the 16volts (off 2 batteries)? I could do the back up battery out of a exit sign from work
haha.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The yellow memory wire needs to be hooked up to the same source as the red ACC wire. If you don't hook it up this way you're going to create an internal short and smoke your radio. With a stereo install you either need to switch the memory wire off every time you're finished using the stereo, install a 48-12V reducer, or use a separate battery. Even the smallest milli-amp draw from the memory cable is enough to unsynchronize the two batteries from the rest of the pack and create a battery nightmare. You'll be buying batteries a lot sooner than you anticipated, costing you most than the 48-12 volt reducer would in the first place. I've seen it numerous times, probably 40-50 times at least. 4 bad batteries. 2 good ones. The good ones are the ones with the radio hooked up to it. The other 4 have been cooked due to overcharging while waiting on the other 2 to catch up during the charge cycle.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
bb93gt
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok, I'm going to go with a 48 to 12v converter (25amp) to run my lights and stereo, and a extra battery for my memory. I found a 12v battery out of a emergency light for my memory on my stereo.
The only question I have is do I ground the extra 12v battery to the cart? (- to the cart frame and + to stereo memory) I've put in a bunch of stereo's in car's before, but the 48v system has got me a little confused.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

NEVER ground to frame run a complete ground wire.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo wiring, voltage converter, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car