lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Jayls5
Not Yet Wild

Default Just acquired 2 golf carts, a rear end /w motor, and controllers. Fabrication time!

EDIT: Maybe I should have put this in the "Modified" golf cart section... I'm new here so be easy. I am building a fun electric vehicle with my buddies, with electrical and mechanical engineering background. It will probably be more of a go-kart than a golf cart, but I figured I would come to the experts over here!

I bought a "freshly rebuilt" motor and rear end, supposedly pulled off of a 4 person Club Car. From the looks of it, it's a 36v 2.5HP older series wound motor geared down and attached to an open differential. Picture:

The two freebie golf carts I picked up are not club cars, but EZ GO. These will be parts only. We have no idea what works, since we just grabbed them last night. I will be posting details/pics later. On initial inspection, at least one of them is a 72v system judging by the (dead) batteries. When attempting to charge the batteries, it appears shorted out and even fully automatic charger connections are getting hot to the touch... basically I will be using them for a core only. The other had the batteries removed, and the motor is caked over with dirt so I can't verify specifications yet.

I have a Spare Curtis 1266 (or similar looking 48v) motor controller.
I have a Victor 885 24v Motor Controller (basic brushed DC). I used it to test our 36v "Club Car" motor here:
Torque of it running: http://vimeo.com/37192962

I am still learning about SEPEX and series wound motors, so other than the voltage differences, why might I not want to use the VICTOR 885?

We are still debating on quantity / type of batteries, but on initial inspection, Lead Acid appears to be the best bang for the buck. On paper, they do have the highest amp/hour per dollar, but in a high drain (go-kart) application, I have to take into account Peukert's law and lower my expectations significantly. Regular marine/golf kart batteries appear to have higher AH ratings than sealed lead acid, but I don't know if high speed corners are going to slosh around the acid too much and cause damage.

So basically, EVERYTHING is up in the air right now depending on what we can source for cheap. We are going to modify one of the golf karts frames and weld it into a monstrosity

Any advice on what I should do for starters, what problems you think I will be running into, etc would be appreciated.
Jayls5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car