lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
chuckinnc
Getting Wild

Default WIll 48v cart run on 36v

I have a old 48v shunt motor cart setting around, would like to fix up for the kids to drive around the yard. 8v batteries are trash but have 6 good 6v (36v)
and the Alltrax controller says input can be 24-48v. But what about the motor?
will it run ok on reduced voltage.
chuckinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: WIll 48v cart run on 36v

what old 48 volt ezgo are you talking about? did you make it 48 volt?. A 48v motor does not run good or for very long on 36 volts. Are you sure it a 48 volt motor. Ezgo's didn't come out with a 48 volt cart untill the last 5 years
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

I was curious about an old 48 volt cart also. it it really is a 48 volt motor and it probably would not perform very well on 36 volts. in that case I would suggest buying two 6 volt batteries to add to your existing pack.
it it has been previously converted to 48 volts it should be fine on 36 volts and run like a stock golf cart
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A 48v motor will not run on 36 (low voltage) for long. Performance will be poor and the low voltage will cause excessive amperage draw which may damage the controller, F&R or cable connections.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The voltage of the solenoid coil might be an issue, but other than that, it'll work. Of course, it will be about 33% slower and have about 33% less torque than it had in its prime with 48V.

The fact it has an Alltrax controller, leads me to believer it started out as a 36V cart and was upgraded to 48V, so it might have the original motor in it.

Are there any part numbers and/or other information on the motor label?

Like the Alltrax controller, the motor will operate over a wide range of pack voltages, in fact the motor will operate over a wider voltage range than the controller.

On the other hand, not all solenoids with 48V coils will operate at 36V, but some do. Disconnect the small terminals on the solenoid and apply 36V to them. If it clicks, you are probably good to go. If not, you'll have to replace it with one that will work on 36V.

FWIW: The Super-Duty solenoid I use, works at 36V, 42V and 48V.

Tire height may be an issue also. Tall tires take more torque to turn, so it might be a real Amp hog at 36V if the tires are really tall. What is the tire height?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A 48v motor will not run on 36 (low voltage) for long. Performance will be poor and the low voltage will cause excessive amperage draw which may damage the controller, F&R or cable connections.
Just noticed your post.

I agree that the motor will draw more amps at 36V than it does at 48V, have less torque and won't spin up to as high of an RPM.

I also agree that the higher amp draw will be harder on the cables and connections, but he said it was a shunt motor (sepex), so changing the direction of current flow through the field windings is done within the controller and no high current flows through the direction selector switch.

I'm not sure if upping the amp draw will damage the Alltrax controller since it is rated from 24V to 48V and it is current limited.

I'm also not sure if the motor is in fact a 48V motor, or just assumed to be so since it is in a cart that had a 48V battery pack.

In a nutshell, we need to find out what the motor actually is.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I see I wasn't reading ALL the info posted? but, now that I reread an old shunt wound 48v motor' I wonder if it is ezgo or club car. Club car is the only make old 48v shunt wound motor commonly used?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
chuckinnc
Getting Wild

Thanks for the replies, it is a 48v cart but never had much luck with 8v batteries so I used 8x 6volt batteries instead but the 2 extra batteries are in the way, I only use this cart for letting the grand kids ride around the yard so
I was hoping to remove the 2 batteries and run the cart on 36v.
I have 2 other EZGO 36v dcs / txt's with 22" tires and 6" lift for the field but only use this (Yamaha G19) 48v shunt cart for the yard. Lots of problems with this cart so I was planning on just using it, maybe for the kids to drive around the yard with reduced performance.
chuckinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
rib33024

Well that answers alot, It's not an EZGO cart, it's a 48v Yamaha cart. This is the Ezgo electric cart forum, That's why i was asking if you made this cart 48 volts, old ezgo's are 36 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinnc View Post
Thanks for the replies, it is a 48v cart but never had much luck with 8v batteries so I used 8x 6volt batteries instead but the 2 extra batteries are in the way, I only use this cart for letting the grand kids ride around the yard so
I was hoping to remove the 2 batteries and run the cart on 36v.
I have 2 other EZGO 36v dcs / txt's with 22" tires and 6" lift for the field but only use this (Yamaha G19) 48v shunt cart for the yard. Lots of problems with this cart so I was planning on just using it, maybe for the kids to drive around the yard with reduced performance.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

8 posts in we find out what we are being asked to advise on.
My opinion stands - you may end up frying the controller by running the motor on under voltage and thereby increasing the amperage draw. maybe a better way to achieve your goal would be to concentrate on reducing the throttle signal - somehow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO