lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Tricky Elec. Issue - Need to pick your brains

Thanks guys - you are giving me a little hope. After I started reading the horror stories of difficult to remove motors, I was looking for a cliff to drive this off - while it is still running. :)

Rust and corrosion is the norm around here, so removing the motor would have been a nightmare, as it looks as if it is original.

I have no idea of the history of the controller, solenoid, etc. But if the solenoid clicks on the first light sometimes, the third light sometimes, and not at all sometimes - that doesn't sound like it should be normal - so I hope you are right.

At least it is worth a try, because removing that motor, with my lack of skills, and the utility platform I built on the back, would probably end in death. (for the cart, not me)

Please stay tuned - since I have the meter hooked up, I may have some other useful info.

Thanks again for the feedback.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Flip it to tow and remove the precharge resistor. Flip it back to run and put your leads on battery pack neg and the controller side of the solenoid and check those voltages. If the sol is bad the voltage will drop big time if it is failing
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:09 AM   #23
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Flip it to tow and remove the precharge resistor. Flip it back to run and put your leads on battery pack neg and the controller side of the solenoid and check those voltages. If the sol is bad the voltage will drop big time if it is failing
I could probably fake it, but I have no idea what or where the "precharge resistor" is. I'll see if I can figure it out.

But I'm also unsure exactly where to place the leads. I tried to figure out how the wiring was laid out and where it came and went from the controller and everything else connected to the controller.

It was not as obvious as I had hoped.

Is the recharge resister that black resister like thing under this "canister?" And to showcase my newbie ignorance - is that canister the solenoid?

I'll do some more searching and reading and see if I can't answer this myself, but I thought I would ask in case it was obvious from this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1980.jpg (353.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #24
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Well looking up some stuff - I now know for sure what the solenoid is. And if it is only about $20, it is worth it to me to just change it out (since it is so easy), and take it out of the equation.

Is this the same one (link below)? I would like to patronize a sponsor here. But this would be so easy and shipping things to Hawaii can get expensive - and this would be free shipping. But mine says "70-120224-5" - and this one says "70-120224-2"

Amazon solenoid:
Amazon.com : E-Z-GO 27855G01 Solenoid-36 Volt #124 Series : Golf Carts : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : E-Z-GO 27855G01 Solenoid-36 Volt #124 Series : Golf Carts : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1980.jpg (353.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would step up to something more heavy-duty than the "too-weak-even-when-new" 85 amp stock solenoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #26
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I would step up to something more heavy-duty than the "too-weak-even-when-new" 85 amp stock solenoid.
Thanks cg,

But this will no longer be mine in a week, if/when I can be sure it is working adequately again. I just want it working, and have my conscious intact to sell it for an already agreed on bargain price to a friend.

I'm with you - if I was going to keep it, I would always step it up a notch when replacing failed parts - but for now......

Just for kicks, what solenoid would you replace it with? Is it much more expensive?

Edit: I guess the "-5" is a better (higher amperage) solenoid than the "-2" that I linked to above. Is that what you meant - that is, going with the "-5"?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #27
cgtech

Yamaha

Trombettas used on rxv are 36v, & rated higher, white/rogers are good (the ones with silver doped contacts). I have not used any of the ones ScottyB sells, but they get reviewed highly around here. Oh yeah- price, no where near $20.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 AM   #28
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

CG,
I'm still appreciating the feedback - thanks. I was editing my last response as you were posting.

I was saying that I thought the "-2" that I linked to ($20) apparently has a lower rating than the "-5" that I would be replacing.

But the more expensive "-5" says it's rated at 50amp. So, I'm confused.

I can get the "-5" but it costs twice as much on Amazon.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #29
cgtech

Yamaha

That little "silver can" relay doesnt live a long & happy life in even stock cart use, but "it will do". The stock one is rated at about 85a, the ones i use are rated at 200a or higher. These are "continious" ratings, "peak" ratings are higher, the motor controller works the same way, so it works-out. (a 500a controller is not operating at 500a at all times, only when load is high, motor rpms are near zero and throttle is at 100%)
Old 06-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #30
stang99x
Gone Wild

The solenoid from Amazon you posted is fine. The numbers change slightly over the years with small revisions. The larger ones (I use the 400amp) are great when needed, but overkill on a basic cart. Your Alltrax is more capable than stock controllers, but being that you're still using a stock motor it'll be fine. Removing the motor is not hard. The hardest part is taking off the backseat or utility bed. Most of the time after pulling the three screws that hold them on they'll all but fall off. The hardest one I've seen in recent years was a sepex motor that had imploded. A quick tap with a mallet and it was off.
Anyway, do the solenoid and report back. Prime shipping is nice isn't it?!?
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO