lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO DCS vs Ruff n' Tough Speed

I have a 96 DCS with stock motor, DCX400 controller, and 48 v batteries.

My dad has a Rough N' Ruff 48v, new Alltrax pwm600 (I think) controller, and stock motor.

My cart has more get up and go, and tops out at 22mph on flat ground. His tops out at 15mph. I am surprised mine is so much faster.

I know the answer is probably something like mine is sepex and his is series or something like that, but I'm shocked there is that big of a difference. Is that surprising to any of you or does it sound normal?
dcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO DCS vs Ruff n' Tough Speed

Not surprised - I like the DCS drive system. And yes his is slower stronger series drive.... just don't let him talk you into tieing the rear bumpers together...He'll hurt your cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm surprised by the low speeds of both carts.

If your dad's cart is based on an EZGO 36V series drive that has been upgraded to 48V, the top speed ought to be about 18.5MPH on stock height (18") tires with 12.44:1 gears in the differential.

An 36V DCS with a DCX controller should do about 22 MPG on 18" tires and upwards of 30MPH with a 48V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock motor in the R&T may be a high torque - low speed type motor. The DCS may have turbo off for max torque = lower top end.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

guys. both carts are lifted and have larger offroad style tires. Sorry I can't say exactly how big. He did another test today on flat ground today on fresh batteries and did get closer to 18, so it's not quite as far off as I initially said. As far a correction, his controller is actually a 500 amp, not 600.

Thank you for your thoughts.
dcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Tall tires take more torque to turn and DC motors produce their least amount of torque at their highest RPM, so cart with taller tires tend not to reach their theoretical top speed based on the final drive ratio.

ATV type off-road tires tend to be low pressure (Max inflation of 10PSI or less) and have higher rolling resistance, which reduces top speed also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Pagefamily
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Probably a dumb response but...did you check the low speed / high speed switch in the passenger side glove box? Mine is a little rocker switch on the inside left wall.
Pagefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO