lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries - Ran fine once, but now wont run

Hello,

I have the following
  • EZ GO Medalist
  • Serial: 1001825
  • Manufacture Code: B2097

I put in 6 new Trojan T-105 recently, put it on the charger for a day, and it worked just fine. I took it around the neighborhood on 2 occasions and everything was fine.

I recently got in for a ride, and besides the headlights, the cart seems dead.

Here are my findings:
  • Checked all batteries with multimeter, and all report ~6.3V
  • Front headlights work
  • Horn works
  • Digital battery level indicator does not work
  • Putting in drive and depressing gas does not work
  • Putting in reverse and depressing gas does not work
  • Putting in reverse, there is no backup alarm. I did however notice 1 time just now, the alarm did sound, but it was very very faint. In my most recent tests, there is no sound at all.
  • Charger does not turn on when plugging in to cart.

Ideas?
Thanks in advance for any assistance
jreue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries - Ran fine once, but now wont run

One of the cables connecting the six batteries in series is bad.

BTW: Verify the serial number. The one you posted returns a 1997 3-wheel Gas Marathon.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
One of the cables connecting the six batteries in series is bad.

BTW: Verify the serial number. The one you posted returns a 1997 3-wheel Gas Marathon.
Do you have any suggestions on how to isolate which cable is bad? I did replace all old cables with new ones, and I threw all the old ones out. Would just a continuity check with my multimeter be sufficient?

Also, concerning the serial. I double, triple checked the serial...and its right. bizarre
Old 01-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Just a quick thought, I have seen this get disconnected....the reed switch wire...On passengers side under seat near front corner of forward battery, check the RED wire, be sure its plugged in completely. They sometimes get jiggled in battery swap. Maybe also check the microswitches behind the forward reverse switch.
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug73 View Post
Just a quick thought, I have seen this get disconnected....the reed switch wire...On passengers side under seat near front corner of forward battery, check the RED wire, be sure its plugged in completely. They sometimes get jiggled in battery swap. Maybe also check the microswitches behind the forward reverse switch.
Sorry, was thinking of newer model than that, I seen this on TXT before...brainfart!!!
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreue View Post
Do you have any suggestions on how to isolate which cable is bad? I did replace all old cables with new ones, and I threw all the old ones out. Would just a continuity check with my multimeter be sufficient?

Also, concerning the serial. I double, triple checked the serial...and its right. bizarre
Connect you voltmeter across one of the five cables connection the six batteries together with clip-leads and press the pedal (Key on -- Direction selected like you were going to drive cart). If the meter stays at 0V, move the meter to the next interconnecting cable and try again. The bad cable/connection will show pack voltage, the good ones will read Zero.

Be sure the connect the clip leads to the battery post rather than the cable lugs. If the batteries have stud type terminals, connect the test leads to the top of the studs.

-----
Also, does the cart have a series drive, or is it a DCS?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
-----
Also, does the cart have a series drive, or is it a DCS?
I believe it's a series cart. At least according to this site http://ddmotorsystems.com/TypeOfVehicle.php

I don't see any type of obvious haul/tow switch and my F/R switch is near the seat
Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
jreue
Not Yet Wild

Got it working.

I performed the test, checking the cables as prescribed. With the key on, drive switch in F, but not depressing the pedal,I found an oddity in one of the cables. I moved the cable by hand and saw the battery level indicator light up. Putting it in reverse, the reverse alarm was now audible, but not as loud as usual. I was going to take the cable off, but when i put the socket on, I noticed the nut was loose. Shaking my head, I re-tightened and now the cart works fine again. I'm not too sure what happened, I would almost swear I tightened them all down, but perhaps I missed this one and just got lucky on it being hand tightened for the first few rides.

Thanks for everyone's help! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO