lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
TrevorShannon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart took off by itself

So I got my SPM 48500 and HD solenoid installed and the cart was doing GREAT. We took them out in the woods last night and put her through the test. After about a hour I started to loose power even with the batteries still show good. This morning I washed the cart and all of a sudden it took off in reverse. Now the SPM controller is setting a error code for throttle over voltage. If I press the pedal very slow the cart will move till the throttle hits about 40% when watching in the SPM software. My cart is a EZGO series cart. Any help would be great!
TrevorShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart took off by itself

Put a leash on it so it stays in the yard
hondarider203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You Got something(s) hooked up wrong. The cart needs the solenoid latched closed to power the control, this should not be happening unless the gas pedal is physically depressed and the pedal box microswitch (ms) is closed.

Also what you are seeing with the throttle signal sounds water related. The ITS is subject to errant signals when wet, so open the box and dry it out with a hairdryer or such.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, if your cart has an in-line connector between cable coming out of the pedal box and the cart's wiring harness, clean and dry it.

Both pedal switch and ITS signals go through those connections and when they get dirty or wet, all sorts of strange things can happen.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The micro switch on the pedal is supposed to prevent this from happening because it has to close to cause the solenoid to engage. Sounds like yours may not be wired right or it is always closed. That could give you an error code for throttle problems.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
TrevorShannon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So what I have found so far......

My kids got the great idea to watch the cart take off by itself on our surveillance cameras, what I found is I had the seat off when checking everything and it fell against the pedal (if i could upload the video I would!) So that problem is solved! Last night something started to get hot (could smell it) and caused a power loose. I have everything upgraded except the motor. Is it possible the motor was getting hot and causing my problem. I am looking to upgrade to motor ASAP but need input. I am currently running at 19mph and dont want to loose that but thinking I need more torque. I am looking at Plum Quick and D&D motors.

Thank you everyone for your help this forum is GREAT!!! So glad I found it
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
TrevorShannon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also is there any upgrade/Sealed ITS sensors out there?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't remember anyone here discussing a upgraded ITS. Make sure your kids and others are in the clear when you probing around in cart especially with the key switched on.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorShannon View Post
Also is there any upgrade/Sealed ITS sensors out there?
Technically, the ITS sensor is sealed, or at least it is filled with a water proof potting compound at the factory.

What happens is that as the potting compound ages, it shrinks and there is nasty habit of a hairline crack developing along the edge of the PCB inside the bottom part of the sensor and when moisture gets on the electronics, strange things happen.

Attached is a schematic of what is inside of an ITS sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorShannon View Post
So what I have found so far......

My kids got the great idea to watch the cart take off by itself on our surveillance cameras, what I found is I had the seat off when checking everything and it fell against the pedal (if i could upload the video I would!) So that problem is solved! Last night something started to get hot (could smell it) and caused a power loose. I have everything upgraded except the motor. Is it possible the motor was getting hot and causing my problem. I am looking to upgrade to motor ASAP but need input. I am currently running at 19mph and dont want to loose that but thinking I need more torque. I am looking at Plum Quick and D&D motors.

Thank you everyone for your help this forum is GREAT!!! So glad I found it
Motors convert electrical energy into either motion (torque) or heat, so they do get hot, especially with tall tires and a high ampacity controller.

Max recommended case temperature for motors with Class-H insulation is 239°F.

Getting a motor too hot can cause motor failure, which in turn can take out the controller (Unless its output is short circuit protected, which the SPM may be.)

As for what motor to get, it depends on how your cart is set up and what you want to do with it. Contact scottyb at Carts Unlimited (he is a D&D dealer) and he can steer you in the right direction for a motor that meets your desires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO