lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #21
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Buying 2010 48V RXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Haha. Makes someone feels safe in one of these carts.
Then don't start wiring a lot of stuff to the keyswitch.

If you remember I also have a RXV cart as well.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #22
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have read all the threads I can find on installing a DC converter on the RXV's it seems the best plan is to connect it to the output side of the main 48V solenoid. At the moment I am shopping for a good quality dc converter on ebay, I have found a couple of potential candidates, but am concerned about oversizing, would a 25-30 amp capacity DC converter be a concern given the immediate need for only headlights. (I may add a cig lighter outlet also, which I understand are typically fused at 15-20 amps). As to the coasting issue I have only tried it on more or less flat ground, the longest hill I have on a paved roadway is about 1,000 ft long with about a 35 ft elevation change. When the rain stops here in a couple of days I will try to see if it comes to a stop before getting to the bottom of the hill without applying the brakes.

Ike
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #23
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I have read all the threads I can find on installing a DC converter on the RXV's it seems the best plan is to connect it to the output side of the main 48V solenoid.

Ike
You should think twice before you do that.I read some posts dated a long time ago, something about the brake is tied somehow to the solenoid.I know it's the output side but still
Old 05-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #24
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

dc convertor should be hooked to solenoid to activate it. the brake is Not hooked directly to the output of the solenoid, its operated by the controller. there is no magical "brake relay" to check for motor brake problems, its driven by the controller. the only "brake relay" on a rxv is under the cupholders, its ONLY job is to operate the brake lights, nothing else.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #25
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like I said I was reading an old post.Seems EZGO had brake problems and they were changing out the solenoid to correct it.Seems some of them would come to a quick halt for no reason then jerked for a while.Then another one they had fixed and then the brake went out totally meaning there were no brakes.
So yes I read about these carts just before I bought mine and I would hope EZGO would have had time to work all the bugs and fix them.At least i'm hoping and it was in a EZGO shop just before I bought it.He said he paid $350. for a new brake assembly and now it doesn't move and maybe they checked it out pretty good.I'm on flat ground and the speed limit is pretty low inside the RV park.If I have any signs of brake problems or something not right it will go into a shop.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have bought a DC-DC converter off ebay, it took a little doing but I found a Curtis DC/DC converter Model 1400E 48/60-1201 new in distressed box for about $50. This particular model regulates its output to 13.5 volts (they also make 12V and 14V versions, and other companies make 13.8V comparable models). Others of this model are listed on ebay for $175-$225 used or refurbs, and after searching the board here I found a couple of positive references for this model. I had also found an older EZ GO official kit that included wiring harness, mouting plates, and even a fuse block which would have ran about $75, I would have bought it except for a couple of negative reliability comments I found online about the Sevcon DC converter in that kit.

Ike

ps At least the Curtis DC converter is not made in China, instead it is made in France, who are not exactly known for their electronics, but hopefully is a step up from typical Chinese junk
Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #27
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well the DC-DC converter came in, I have it installed, will post pictures later when there is good daylight, it was a tight fit to fine a way the mounting screws would fit through the bottom of the of the drivers side battery compartment without hitting any of the bottom side support structure but I managed, it was tight enough on 2 of the bolts that there was not room for a socket to fit over the lock nuts and I had to use a box wrench. Now I just need to get some larger split loom and make it look more factory like.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #28
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It really is amazing how much one can spend on one of these golf carts just doing minor freshening and upgrades.

$1975 for the used 2010 RXV with 14 month old batteries

$60 to add a DC-DC converter because it was built about a month before EZ GO started installing them as standard equipment

$100 for a new windshield because the old one was like driving in fog

$160 for 4 new upsized tires and wheels, even if it was a bargin price this thing is just for around the yard / farm

Now another $140 because whoever added the rear seat did not upgrade to HD springs and the suspension bottoms out and tires rub when you load 4 people on board.

Hopefully this will nearly be the end of it, but I am already considering adding an LED light bar, ... :(

ps Ooops forgot the $50 for the SOC meter
Old 05-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #29
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It really is amazing how much one can spend on one of these golf carts just doing minor freshening and upgrades.

$1975 for the used 2010 RXV with 14 month old batteries

$60 to add a DC-DC converter because it was built about a month before EZ GO started installing them as standard equipment

$100 for a new windshield because the old one was like driving in fog

$160 for 4 new upsized tires and wheels, even if it was a bargin price this thing is just for around the yard / farm

Now another $140 because whoever added the rear seat did not upgrade to HD springs and the suspension bottoms out and tires rub when you load 4 people on board.

Hopefully this will nearly be the end of it, but I am already considering adding an LED light bar, ... :(

ps Ooops forgot the $50 for the SOC meter
Your getting off cheap!!

Wait till you buy batteries! Or want to actually upgrade any of the drive system!

They didn't have the bigger tires you had so it probably just sagged and not bottomed out. I think that is a function of the larger tires uou put on with the stock springs. They could of just rode like a couple 5 year Olds on the back seat.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #30
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Little help with confusing posts.

Brake on motor is "Parking/Emergency " brake.
this brake is not used to stop cart in normal operation . Motor does all normal braking.

Sol. problems with early carts was due to contact failure, causing controller to drop out
locking the wheels. This was mis diagnosed as brake problem in many cases.

Sol. problem caused premature brake failure (by locking parking brake while cart was moving)

Wheel scrub w/20in wheels -- look behind rear tire- trim inside plastic ledge ,
where bumper/fender curve is too close to rear wheel.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO