lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV controller test

2010 ezgo rxv suddenly speeds up then slows down then takes off and hesitates. Tested New speed sensor New Batteries and it appears the throttle sensor is working from my scanner.I have tested the controller from what I have on the web. Checking ohms U-V V-W U-W and all are with in 0.4 - 0.8 but u-w, it says to replace motor. But if there all supposed to be with in 0.4 - 0.8 wouldn't that point towards the controller? Also my motor command speed is 6500 and my actual speed on the scanner goes up and down as it jerks and speeds up and slows down.
jessemcmillan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV controller test

I am not expert on this, having just bought my 2010 RXV last week, but I have been doing lots of reading on the trouble shooting guide and other threads. And if it were me I would connect a good HZ reading multimeter to the output connection on the controller and compare the instant HZ readings with the performance. I would also likely try measuring the pedal sensor (I think it is a 0-5V variable input) to see if it was varying and replace it either way before buying a new motor.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

This cart has been a huge pain troubleshooting. I agree with testing the throttle first. My scanner shows the throttle putting out correctly. What do you mean by HZ
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does the scanner show current throttle position, or just that it is not an out of range signal? According to the trouble shooting guide http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ot-guide-2.pdf
out of range shows as a fault at under .5V or over 4.8V

Also from the trouble shooting guide if you have anything pulling the 5V low voltage bus down it could cause erratic response from the sensors such as the throttle input and example being a damaged wire in the wiring harness.

HZ is hertz, which is frequency, these carts use AC 3 phase motors and what is basically a variable frequency drive to control output and speed.

Ike

p.s. The questions are:

1, Is the controller telling the motor to change speeds

2, If so why?

I can see a bad motor dropping speed (cutting out) then the controller applying too much input causing it to surge, but I can't see a failing motor speeding up without first cutting out

Last edited by Isaac-1; 05-24-2016 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: ps
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the guide. Very helpful. I do remember seeing my throttle voltage hitting 5.0 volts then 4.8 then back up. The cart will start off fine going slow but as you slowly increase speed it starts to act up. Sometimes it'll run fine then all of sudden it'll start to act up. By (sometimes) I mean within 10-15 seconds it will lose power then come alive then lose power then take off. If that makes since at all. I will be doing all these tests tomorrow and do appreciate the help.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi..

Check speed sensor again.
Even tiny metal flakes on speed sensor will cause this problem.
The sensor has strong magnet in it.

Another possibility is brake pedal bouncing.
If return/feel spring is too loose it could bounce and cause drop out.

I do not think motor is the problem. I have yet to see a bad RXV motor.

Please keep us posted!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Hi..

Check speed sensor again.
Even tiny metal flakes on speed sensor will cause this problem.
The sensor has strong magnet in it.

Another possibility is brake pedal bouncing.
If return/feel spring is too loose it could bounce and cause drop out.

I do not think motor is the problem. I have yet to see a bad RXV motor.

Please keep us posted!
On the subject of the brake pedal, the obnoxious part about these controls (assuming Curtis from the model year) is that if they see even 1% braking request it shuts down the throttle.
Meaning if it's intermittently 1% it could result in jerky motion as well. If you have a handset available you can see this on the monitor menu. If this turns out to be the source it can be corrected by raising the brake dead-band value.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

Just today after I have almost have up and swamped different speed sensor not correcting anything I noticed the rear of motor on the brake was extremely hot handsomely weird. Could this be my problem..
Old 05-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemcmillan10 View Post
Just today after I have almost have up and swamped different speed sensor not correcting anything I noticed the rear of motor on the brake was extremely hot handsomely weird. Could this be my problem..
You sentence is difficult to understand. I think the auto correct did some auto incorrecting.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

o god that is horrible!!!! Let me correct this. I decided to go outside and mess with it again trying not to give up and today noticed it still cutting in and out but now the brake is extremely hot!!! Also noticed a little smoke coming from it. Im starting to believe the electronic brake is bad!

Tags
controller, ezgo, jerking, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO