lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
wthomps
Not Yet Wild

Default Ausco Brake Wheel Fitment Issue

I'm in the middle of putting on a set of Ausco brakes from scottyb on my 99 Ezgo TXT and I'm having wheel fitment issues. For those that have the Ausco brakes what wheels are you running to clear them? Ideally I'd like to stick with a 20x10 tire so I don't have to lift the cart so I'm not sure how realistic a 12" wheel would be.

I know that per scottyb you need at least 10" wheels, so I went and ordered a set of 10x7 Tempest wheels and 20x10 street fox tires. I got the brakes on (still need to adjust them) but when I tried to test fit a wheel I couldn't get it on. When I looked closer I saw the outside 1" of the wheel is 10", but then it necks down to 8". I made the mistake of thinking that a 10" wheel meant 10" of clearance. I got them through buggiesunlimited so I have to call them tomorrow and see what options I have to return or exchange them, though I'm not too optimistic that I'm not going to get hosed even further on this deal.
wthomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ausco Brake Wheel Fitment Issue

While a 10" wheel may fit them, not all may fit. You can't blame Scotty for not knowing every wheel that will fit. In your case, I would think you could trade them in, but you will probably be stuck with shipping.

Ps you can probably get a low profile tire on a 12" wheel that will be exactly the same total hieght.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wheel spacers are an option. How close are they to going up?
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
wthomps
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
While a 10" wheel may fit them, not all may fit. You can't blame Scotty for not knowing every wheel that will fit. In your case, I would think you could trade them in, but you will probably be stuck with shipping.

Ps you can probably get a low profile tire on a 12" wheel that will be exactly the same total hieght.
I'm in no way saying it was scottyb's fault. I was just referncing his measurements. I was just trying to see what wheels other people with these brakes had used. I didn't see any place that lists which wheels neck down and which don't. Luckily buggiesunlimited is exchanging them, though I'm out shipping them back. I looked at some low profile with 12" wheels but I'm worried that ride quality will suffer. Plus I already own a set of 20x10 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTPIT HC View Post
Wheel spacers are an option. How close are they to going up?
That thought crossed my mind too, but I'm guessing I'd need around a 2" spacer. If I put a matching spacer on the front I'd need a lift to be able turn.
wthomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

I'm guessing that most all 10" steel wheels will fit. Aluminum wheels must be thicker. We're the ones you got aluminum? This happens a lot on 4x4s also. (A 16" steel wheel will fit, but you must go to 17" if it's aluminum.)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Seems like every year or two this comes up. Sorry you didn't post before you bought because several guys here would have given you a heads-up.

On Ausco's site they addressed this issue and listed a handful of wheels that wouldn't fit (noting that the list was only examples and in no way was complete). Since new wheel designs were offered all time, it was the customers responsibility to confirm that the wheels they intended to use had a straight bell because a beveled bell in a 10" wheel wouldn't work.

You're right about it being hard to tell by the wheel seller's advertising if their 10" wheel will fit since they never show the back of the wheel or a cross-section. It's up to the consumer to verify, by e-mail or phone, the shape of the bell before ordering.

I understand Ausco's position. It's only a small segment of the market (10") that is in the gray area.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you shipped them? A spacer seems like a viable option to use and still keep the wheels and tires. A 1" spacer is probably as cheap or cheaper than return shipping.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
davewil@mc.net
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I am trying to determine whether my 10" alloy wheels ill work with Ausco disc brakes. See image this is of the fronty of the cart but only being used for explanation. Brakes go on the back.
Part of the inside diameter of the wheel is over 9.25" which I understand is the minimum, but part is less than 9.25". About 1" from where the back of the wheel matches up to the cart is less than 9.25".
Will this work, or am I out of luck.

davewil@mc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO