lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo 36v to 48v advice

I have a 98 ezgo 36v dcs. I have put a new xct 400 dcs controller and upgraded solenoid recently from carts unlimited. Motor is stock but has been rebuilt. I would like to know with the stock motor if I could swap to 48v and what would be the benefits of doing so.
johnalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo 36v to 48v advice

Over the yrs I have found that for Ezgo DCS and PDS carts the upgrade from 36v to 48v is just a little too much for these motors and this shortens the motor life for SEPEX Ezgo carts. If you are going to replace the motor that is a different story.
If keeping the stock motor the best upgrade is to 42v. It is easy to add a 7th 6v battery in the free space under the drivers seat. The added voltage will increase both speed and torque by about 17%, this is a noticeable difference from the driver's seat. DPI makes a nice 42v charger too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is the same true for series motors?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
johnalicia
Not Yet Wild

I do want to upgrade motor just not right now lol. I have thought about upgrading batteries and if I do, then would be the time to make the switch if it was worth it. my inlaws have a 48v 04 club car and theres a big difference in speed and torque between theirs and mine. I would like to have about the same. What can be done to accomplish this? I will also be putting lift kit, tires and a rear seat on the cart in the near future. Thanks any suggs. would help.
johnalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

If you plan to upgrade the motor, I would convert to 48 right now. You will be impressed with the proformance. Then when the motor burns up, you have a good reason to upgrade. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a big market for used stock motors. So it's not like you will be losing much.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

-that is not the best advice you will get -

The stock sepex motor is is high demand for PQ rewinds. Too many of these motors have been fried beyond retrieval and they are in great demand.

If you put 48v to the stock DCS or PDS motor expect it to fry as I have posted many many times. If you add bigger tires and rear seat expect it to destruct sooner. 42v offers a compromise that the motor can live with and will increase performance. Now if you are going to a new motor by all means go to 48v with it.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So is this true with series motors? 48v will burn them out sooner. I'm sure it will but would it be a noticeable difference.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
-that is not the best advice you will get -

The stock sepex motor is is high demand for PQ rewinds. Too many of these motors have been fried beyond retrieval and they are in great demand.

If you put 48v to the stock DCS or PDS motor expect it to fry as I have posted many many times. If you add bigger tires and rear seat expect it to destruct sooner. 42v offers a compromise that the motor can live with and will increase performance. Now if you are going to a new motor by all means go to 48v with it.
I put my stock PDS on Craig's and no one even called. How much would you give me Scotty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
So is this true with series motors? 48v will burn them out sooner. I'm sure it will but would it be a noticeable difference.
Of course it will be true, but I know several people that did it with series and they lasted for years of abuse. I've been told the sepex is less tolerant.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect a stock, standard speed, 36V series motor will live on a 48V diet longer then a stock, standard speed, 36V sepex motor since the stock series motor won't rev nearly as high at 48V as the stock sepex motor will.

A stock series cart does about 14 MPH with a 36V battery pack, which is about 3250 RPM on stock height tires. Going to 48V ups the RPM by about 33.3%, so the stock series motor will only spin at about 4330 RPM, or about 18.6 MPH on stock height tires.

A stock DCS cart does about 22 MPH with a DCX or XCT controller at 36V, which is about 5100 RPM on stock height tires and upping the pack to 48V ups the rpm to about 6800 RPM, or about 29.3 MPH on stock height tires, which is over-revving since the max recommended RPM is something like 6000 or 6500.

A stock PDS cart does about 24 MPH with a DCX or XCT controller at 36V, which is about 5875 RPM on stock height tires and upping to 48V will up it to about 7430 RPM, or about 32 MPH on stock height tires. That is most definitely over-revving a stock PDS motor.

Since the XCT-PDS does have user programmable RPM limiting, the max RPM can be limited to 6500 or below for a PDS motor, however the the XCT-DCS does not share this feature because the DCS motor doesn't have a speed sensor.

Personally, I like to see Alltrax add an optional speed sensor jack on the XCT-DCS, so DCS cart owners could access all the features of an XCT controller when they update to a motor that does have a speed sensor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You advise everybody based upon 1 ad on your local CL and challenge me to buy something I don't need and this justifies your advise. I think that validates my response.

Let the original poster decide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO