lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #51
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bought a Cheap Dead RXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstwo View Post
Sounds like great advice. I kind of thought there might be more problems, but the the cart has been great since I made the initial repair with your harness, and replaced the brake. Just went out and tried it. Runs fine for 5 to 30 feet bucks a couple of times and spills hot coffee on your leg, and then slows to a crawl. Turn key off, wait 30 seconds, turn key back on takes off fine then bucks a couple times, spills more coffee. You can keep this sequence up until I have to walk back in the house for more coffee. From what I am reading, is is possible that it could be the encoder? It seems that it would make sense that if a previous owner drove it back with a smoking hot park brake, could it take out the encoder also? So if worst case it is the controller, you think I would be better off to replace it with the Curtis, and not have the Danaher rebuilt for $450. I have read the Danaher is generally pretty tough. Feel free to let me know if it is not worth further investment, but I really think it is. I am into the cart like it sets at $725.
If it were the encoder, it would likely not pass the POST to start with. Since it's acting like a thermal cutback issue, which is pretty much confirmed by the heat sink temperature rise, it's one of 2 things. A motor issue, or a controller issue. AC motors are not well known for failure. There's just not much to go wrong in there. If it were the motor, you would likely notice it getting hot. The faily quick cutback and bucking tends to indicate an issue at the controller level.

If it were a Curtis controller, I would first recommend a reflash of the controller back to brand new stock. I am an OEM that uses Curtis controllers, and I have never used Danaher controllers in my EV designs. I am not an OEM with Danaher. I do not have the ability to help you along those lines.

Having controllers rebuilt, especially when motor FET issues are suspected, is not recommended. That is where most rebuilt controllers are bound to refail.

I really should get into Danaher controllers so I can help people that have them. I never made that investment because I was not involved with golf carts at a business level. I only became involved with them from a personal use and experimental level.

A brand new 2016 Curtis AC controller kit is $475 + $20 shipping from a dealer I buy from in North Carolina. It comes with the entire controller assembly, including the resistor and mounts. Conversion of a Danaher harness to Curtis is fairly easy. I have the wiring diagrams if you need them.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #52
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am going to bet you are right Bob. This problem was probably what got this cart parked in the first place. First I am going to pull the cover off the Danaher controller and dig around. Just a visual might tell me a lot. I might just take you up on that Curtis offer. Sounds like the way to go, rather than pour money into an older part. If I read right, that controller is a higher amperage. Is there any way to have it shipped already in freedom mode?
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #53
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I am going to bet you are right Bob. This problem was probably what got this cart parked in the first place. First I am going to pull the cover off the Danaher controller and dig around. Just a visual might tell me a lot. I might just take you up on that Curtis offer. Sounds like the way to go, rather than pour money into an older part. If I read right, that controller is a higher amperage. Is there any way to have it shipped already in freedom mode?
I doubt he'll do that. He buys them as surplus controllers from E-Z-GO when they dump their leftover assembly line inventory during the July 4th shutdown. When they fire back up after those 2 weeks, they start using the next OS update controllers on the assembly line. Freedom mode is overrated anyways. Mode 4 can be tweaked and used as a replacement without the 19.5 MPH limit of Freedom mode, if you dare to go that fast. I chose to set mine to top out at 25 MPH.

Bob
Old 09-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #54
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I doubt he'll do that. He buys them as surplus controllers from E-Z-GO when they dump their leftover assembly line inventory during the July 4th shutdown. When they fire back up after those 2 weeks, they start using the next OS update controllers on the assembly line. Freedom mode is overrated anyways. Mode 4 can be tweaked and used as a replacement without the 19.5 MPH limit of Freedom mode, if you dare to go that fast. I chose to set mine to top out at 25 MPH.

Bob
(without having your equipment & programming experience) I find that tweaking the speed to 25 on a fleet-only, non-freedom controller makes for some weird acceleration characteristics. Their "delta speed" rules suck in the stock programming. But, would love to learn more . Hey, freedom unlock is cheap when you know who to ask.... (see "Interest in pass key cheap speed" thread)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #55
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
(without having your equipment & programming experience) I find that tweaking the speed to 25 on a fleet-only, non-freedom controller makes for some weird acceleration characteristics. Their "delta speed" rules suck in the stock programming. But, would love to learn more . Hey, freedom unlock is cheap when you know who to ask.... (see "Interest in pass key cheap speed" thread)
I read that thread. It's a good deal for those that need it. Freedom mode is a toggle of a parameter. If you know the location of that parameter and the values to toggle it either way, it can be changed. That is what the Freedom key does, sends a command string to write that parameter. With the guys out there hacking Curtis controllers, I'm not so suprised that nobody has come out with a portable dongle to simulate the function of a Freedom key. A PIC could store and send the required code. I think the biggest reason is that the guys doing most of the Curtis hacking are not interested in the E-Z-GO versions of Curtis controllers. They are into other types of controller uses.

The speed characteristics of each mode are configurable, as are the limits. I upped the limit on mode 4 to 25 MPH. I also code-limited RPM to protect the motor, reducing the formerly set limit by 1000 RPM. I still suck down more battery power when I plant the pedal to the floor, but that is what happens when you change out the controller and cables for 350 Amps vs the stock 235 Amp RXV controller.

Bob
Old 09-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #56
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I decided to buy the Curtis controller. It should have it in a couple of days. I may need a little help with the modification to the wiring harness. The Danaher controller seems to be working fine, but I want to keep the cart, so I thought I would just upgrade it. I will have a Danaher controller for sale.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #57
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I decided to buy the Curtis controller. It should have it in a couple of days. I may need a little help with the modification to the wiring harness. The Danaher controller seems to be working fine, but I want to keep the cart, so I thought I would just upgrade it. I will have a Danaher controller for sale.
Here is my post with the information on the Danaher to Curtis controller conversion and my link for the Curtis connector source is in the quote. The connectors come apart pretty easy with a jewelers screwdriver to release the latches that trap the socket pins on the front and the wires on the rear. Be gentle when releasing the pins so you don't break the 2 plastic retainers that hold each pin in place.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1318997

Bob
Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #58
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My new controller arrived today, and I will say the ebay deal is very legit. Super fast shipping, and it is definitely brand new. Now I just need to order the Curtis connector. I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see the link for the connector.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #59
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
My new controller arrived today, and I will say the ebay deal is very legit. Super fast shipping, and it is definitely brand new. Now I just need to order the Curtis connector. I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see the link for the connector.
https://howlandtechnology.com/store/...-776164-1.html
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #60
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got my connector for my Curtis controller. I am ready to modify the harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curtisplug.jpg (10.6 KB, 0 views)

Tags
ezgo rxv brake
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO