lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
boonesbuggies
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default RXV Brake / switch problems

I have read a few post on here about this issue I'm just looking for a serious diagnosis before I buy parts. My dad's 2008 RXV started smelling like wires burning and he kept using it for a few weeks. Now the brakes barely work and it will roll off when parked . It can be pushed when in tow/run and it used to be like pushing a house. The on and off switch has have to flipped several times before the cart will start.
boonesbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Brake / switch problems

motor brake for sure! from what you said, i have zero doubt about it. im at a ezgo dealer, and have seen this plenty.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

cgtech, as a person that sees a lot of RXV's can you give us your impression of the failure rate on the parking brake? Is this a part that all RXV owners should expect to replace more than once, and should keep a spare on hand, or is this a luck of the draw and if you don't over torque the screws you should only have to maybe change it once kind of part?

thanks
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

"Hold my beer and watch this!" he said as he accelerated to full speed, turned the steering wheel sharply, and jammed on the RXV brakes for a nice sideways slide. One motor brake destroyed instantly. It's a crappy design, and I hope they deep six it soon and return to analog brakes.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
boonesbuggies
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the quick reply the new brake got me back going. I'm an ezgo man but that design is junk.
boonesbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Yea, the new one I bought through shopezgo.com that was delivered a week ago is so messed up that the coil resistance fluctuates 20 ohms or more as I tap on it. Made in China, sold by E-Z-GO! Instead of sending it back, I'm tempted to make my own coil for it with Mil-Spec wire. I already bought another one from a seller on eBay.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
"Hold my beer and watch this!" he said as he accelerated to full speed, turned the steering wheel sharply, and jammed on the RXV brakes for a nice sideways slide. One motor brake destroyed instantly. It's a crappy design, and I hope they deep six it soon and return to analog brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonesbuggies View Post
I'm an ezgo man but that design is junk.
I disagree (to a point).....

While I will agree there is room for improvement on the design, the system, when used responsively and correctly is good. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these cart running around out there and while there are failures of the brake under normal conditions, that does not mean the system is inherently flawed.

In Gorno's example, the drunk fool just cost himself $100 for trying to showboat for his friends. Yeah it sucks, but you have to remember that these vehicles are designed to be run on golf courses and not the local 1/4 mile track.....

The idea of the Electronic parking brake is here to stay I think (even HPEVS is now offering it on their aftermarket AC motor kits).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know it seems I started this ball rolling, but it seems to me a lot could be done with a few simple mods like maybe an additional resistance spring that kicks in just before panic brake lock occurs. As an RXV owner I know how easy it is to go from heavy braking to locked parking brake.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I know it seems I started this ball rolling, but it seems to me a lot could be done with a few simple mods like maybe an additional resistance spring that kicks in just before panic brake lock occurs. As an RXV owner I know how easy it is to go from heavy braking to locked parking brake.
As I said, improvement is needed.......

How many years has the Sepex drive system been out and they are still making improvements all the time..... The DCS carts ran for what? 3 years? they realized what a failure that drive system was and brought out the PDS that ran for 12 years before they upgraded it to 48 volts. Look how many changes CC has made to theirs? Gen 1, Gen 2 , IQ (with at least 2 separate versions of that system alone).......

Yes, I think the Brake needs improvement, but I also think we will see it for quite some time going forward......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I don't own an RXV anymore but I have 2 spare motor brakes in my toolbox because I have friends with RXVs..

They were pulls from a working fleet that my dealer buddy was going to throw out when they replaced all of them on a fleet going out for lease. They are the old style but they will get my buddy going until the new one comes in..

And agreed, fairly good idea but needs some design improvement.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO