lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Brake / switch problems

i think if they overlapped the "hand-off" from the motor holding the cart to the brake holding the cart, there would be less failures & customer complaints. i also think there is plenty of customer abuse to blame as well (no customer will ever admit to regularly locking the brake or turning the key off while still rolling).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I know it seems I started this ball rolling, but it seems to me a lot could be done with a few simple mods like maybe an additional resistance spring that kicks in just before panic brake lock occurs. As an RXV owner I know how easy it is to go from heavy braking to locked parking brake.
This COULD be done by E-Z-GO through Operating System changes, without any changes to the brake itself, by PWMing the brake output with inverse logic. However, that would mean the brake is a service brake, no longer a parking brake, and it would require more frequent changes as wear and tear take its toll.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'm not an E-Z-GO guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I must admit I've got quite a bit of business replacing these things for people. Hopefully they'll come up with a design change or something soon. I've changed 6 in the last month.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
This COULD be done by E-Z-GO through Operating System changes, without any changes to the brake itself, by PWMing the brake output with inverse logic. However, that would mean the brake is a service brake, no longer a parking brake, and it would require more frequent changes as wear and tear take its toll.

Bob
The current design of the parking brake renders it useless as a service brake. Just because you rewrite some code doesn't mean that brake can actually reliably stop the vehicle. It's clearly not up to the task as it stands now.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

It does not need to be able to stop the RXV on its own. The electric motor is the primary brake on the RXV. What I'm referring to is a softer braking transition that is controlled by brake pedal encoder position, instead of the no EM brake/full EM brake applied that it currently is when you hit that transition point of the brake switch. As you approach that transition, it could start pulsing EM braking power off in wider pulse widths until the brake switch turns the brake power all the way off. If the chosen PWM frequency is high enough, brake pulsing would be smooth and not be felt, very similar to heavy equipment electrohydraulic control systems that I had designed within the last 15 years.

I could write code to do this, but it is not my place to do so. Curtis would be very upset if I abused my capabilities to violate an OEMs right to manage their own products programming. What I do to my own vehicles is my business however.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the current brake designs ,both of them, could never survive PWM, and I hope they never do that (with the current brake size limits). it's not nearly a large enough brake area to survive doing that job within the current size limitations of the 3 bolts that attach it. the 3 bolts limit the max size of the friction disc. maybe add more discs, like a racing clutch? that was not a suggestion for a "super HD" of the current design, please, no one should start stacking more discs into the current brake setup, it can only hold one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO