lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
thaduker
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Terminal Melting

I read another recent post about a battery terminal melting, but mine is a little different. I have a 2009 PDS, I had old batteries on it and occasionally the 2nd battery in the normal 6 battery 36v sequence, the negavtive terminal would get super hot when I was riding down the street and melt. Buggy obviously stops and I went and got a new battery. This happened 3 times and I finally went and got new trojans and cables. Well yesterday, it happened on the 2nd battery, negative terminal! Everything is tight, new batteries, new cables. What could possibly be causing this?
thaduker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Terminal Melting

Possible causes:
1. Connection tight but terminal or post corroded.
2. Cable to terminal crimp corroded.

A new set of cables might be in your future !!

Last edited by bigstik40; 09-27-2016 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: clarify
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

bigstik40 has got the idea, also even though you said it's tight sometimes its not as much as you thought it was and once in a while a cable can loosen up. That's why I recommend that you use lock washers on the batteries if you can

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, always go back over the terminal nuts after a few weeks after installing new batteries. If we install new batteries & cables, it's mandatory for our customers to bring the cart back in after a few weeks for a no-cost terminal check. They are all in the community, they just stop by for a quick check. Everyone should do it to their carts as well. Also, avoid the car part store cables with the ends that have the copper strands all the way up into the area where the nut clamps onto the battery stud, those cable ends compress easily, and don't hold torque well over time. Also, the strands wick acid right up into the cable. Here is an example of the horrible cables to avoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would replace all of the cables (upgrade to 4 or 2 guage) if this is happening because bad connections / cables are the only things that cause melting.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
thaduker
Not Yet Wild

So none of you find it odd that it is happening on the same terminal even after I changed the batteries and cables?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

no-do you live in the Bermuda triangle..jk ....

what battery cables did you get-the 2nd battery thing is a coincidence-the cause is not.

heat is always caused by resistance....that is always true....now to identify the problem.....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduker View Post
So none of you find it odd that it is happening on the same terminal even after I changed the batteries and cables?
Is that the only cable on that battery post or are you stacking more than one terminal there?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
thaduker
Not Yet Wild

A local golf cart shop where I bought the Trojans sold me the cables, which are 4g, brand new with batteries. Nothing else is on that terminal. Originally my lights were on that terminal (old batteries) but I installed a separtate battery to run lights and radio.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
HarryT
Gone Wild

I disagree with YamahaGuy97 on the use of lock washers. I maintain a fleet of Golf Course and members carts. I have seen many melt down because of them rusting and or corroding and getting thinner and letting cables get loose. If you use stainless washers that may be OK but I would not use them. Trojan Battery Company says Do Not Use Lock Washers. I do agree with retorqing them a week or so after installing new batteries or cables.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO