lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
CartMnky
Not Yet Wild

Default Extra Battery or Voltage Reducer??

I have an 01 48V DS that I want to add a simple stereo and some lighting to. I've seen people run a deep cycle battery in the bagwell and I see people using voltage reducers. Other than having to charge an additional battery separately (not a big deal) is there any benefit to one or the other? I've done some searching but most of the threads are old and didn't seem to have a whole lot of information.

Any advice is appreciated!
CartMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Extra Battery or Voltage Reducer??

It's up to you but I would go with a voltage reducer. Less headache and no extra battery to keep charged - and to replace every so often.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you already said it. You either maintain another battery with another charger or you opt for a reducer. While another battery may sound like an easier solution to some these 12v batteries are not deep cycle types and need frequent recharging if they are to be properly maintained so they live a long life.

Once a good quality DC reducer is installed it's charge as you normally would and GO.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
CartMnky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you already said it. You either maintain another battery with another charger or you opt for a reducer. While another battery may sound like an easier solution to some these 12v batteries are not deep cycle types and need frequent recharging if they are to be properly maintained so they live a long life.

Once a good quality DC reducer is installed it's charge as you normally would and GO.
Sounds like that's the way to go then. I assume you have one you recommend on your site? (can't view the site because of work filters lol)
CartMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We only sell one model with or without the fuse panel and ground bus bar. It makes 12v for up to 30a draw from 36v or 48v input.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I run a extra 12volt battery under the seat in my DS . I rather drive home with no lights cause the radio got left on then having to push it home. I want all the driving mileage out of my pack that i can get .

I used a 12 volt RV/Marine sealed battery so i dont have to water it and a simple battery tender to charge it up every time i charge the cart .

heres some pics : http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/album.php?albumid=2817
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My battery pack is only 4/12v. It can run a radio for 20 hours and then run home. (if I can find the keys)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lights and radio are not going to make a dent in your range.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Lights and radio are not going to make a dent in your range.
Especially today's LED lights
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was in the same camp as Swan. I used a glass mat power chair battery ( no maintenance). In it's 4th year now with no issues. HOWEVER, when it fails I will most likely get a reducer. I just acquired another cart (6 mos ago) and it was built with a reducer. Don't have to think about it at all and has been noted with LED lights no affect on range/performance.
BUT, if you go this route don't go cheap. Get a good one. Also, some of them have a constant on besides the trigger wire. This is nice if you want to run a clock or if you go old school with a radio and presets.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car