lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Broncot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV Turn Radius not Equal

My not-so-favorite nephew hit a rock with the right front wheel and bent the rack tie rod. I installed a new rack and adjusted the tie rod ends to get it centered, but my turning radius to the left is half of what the radius is to the right. The spindle arm on the left seems to hit the frame which doesn't allow the tires to turn as far! I have removed the rack multiple times, checked for bent spindles, re centered the rack and reinstalled until I am blue in the face. Everything looks straight! What am I missing?
Broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Turn Radius not Equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncot View Post
My not-so-favorite nephew hit a rock with the right front wheel and bent the rack tie rod. I installed a new rack and adjusted the tie rod ends to get it centered, but my turning radius to the left is half of what the radius is to the right. The spindle arm on the left seems to hit the frame which doesn't allow the tires to turn as far! I have removed the rack multiple times, checked for bent spindles, re centered the rack and reinstalled until I am blue in the face. Everything looks straight! What am I missing?
Check and compare the angles of the frame rails on each side to one another where they transition to parallel at the front. The frame there is relatively easy to bend as they are already bent into that shape. That was where the frame on my RXV bent when I hit a tree with the left front tire. Mine was not cost effective to repair, yours might be. I bought another RXV that had been stripped of parts to rebuild.

Here is a photo from above of my bent RXV frame in the front. Yours won't be bent this far without being extremely obvious, but it does not take much to cause the problem you are having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-11-11_15-05-14_545.jpg (488.5 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Broncot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, that's a bent frame.
I jacked up the cart and things look straight as can be.

The measurements from the center cross member under the seat to the frame horns measures equal.

Hard to tell if the radius portion of the frames are bent equal, but they look pretty good.

The cross pieces between the frame horns are straight and no cracked welds.

The lower A arms both have similar bends to each other, and the same measurements to the center cross member.

The Left tire rubs on the inside when it is fully turned to the left.

The right tire has cupping on the inside tread(s).

If I remember correctly the part number on my old rack crossed referenced to a new number, and I am thinking that maybe I have the wrong rack? Or the tie rod ends need to be swapped?
Broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Go back to basics. Spin the steering wheel both directions "lock to lock", carefully observing to be able to put it back to center.. Set the steering alignment back to "right" with the steering rack at center (it is often not near right from the factory, this may involve removing the steering wheel to fix it). If you still can't get it straight, there are frame problems you can't see. Fixing a wrecked cart can be troublesome.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO