lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
GOLFERDAN
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile Ready for performance upgrades

Ok, over the winter here in Ohio I've managed to complete some cosmetic upgrades to the cart. So far I've added carpet, some wood to the dash, a voltmeter, a lighter, seat covers, an enclosure, a heater, sewed and installed a Sunbrella Type Trim around the top, made a heater holder and trimmed with the same Sunbrella Material, pin striping and a Viet Nam Vet Decal. I replaced the ugly plastic thing holding the pivot point of the club cover with a couple of aluminum brackets. I cleaned and refinished battery tray and changed over to 4ga battery cables. I also just ordered 6 Crown CR235 batteries. (The old ones are 5 year old US2200 but I noticed some bulging when I took them out to redo the battery rack.) But Now I'm chomping at the bit to start a performance upgrade. Bear in mind this is a cart used on the golf course only. I really don't care much about additional speed. What I want is more torque and of course longevity. I suspect the new batteries will help with longevity but less slowing (or should I say crawling) up the hills would be nice. I will most likely never put larger tires than the 8" stock on it. It's a series non PDS 03 TXT Fleet cart. No run/tow switch and F/R on the seat bottom.

Where to start.... motor, controller, solenoid? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, As I mentioned, I upgraded the battery cables to 4ga but I did not upgrade the other high voltage cables. Would doing so much difference?
GOLFERDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ready for performance upgrades

A series cart for golf, I would use the Alltrax SR48400 control and SW180 solenoid combination.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
GOLFERDAN
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Using the stock motor would be ok with that combo, Scotty? And, That would help with the torque issue? Also do I need to replace the remaining 6 ga. cables with 4ga?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, the stock motor can be used with this control on 36 or 48v. I have mine on 42v = 7/6v batteries.
When the motor calls for amperage it flows through every cable and the F&R as well as the solenoid and controller. So everything should be upsized to avoid any bottleneck in the flow. 2 or 4 gauge cables and HD F&R iis needed, or a SW182 reversing contactor would be nice. I love the rocker shift on my series cart

This control will allow about 50% more amperage to flow (compared to stock) which the motor will use to make an equal amount of torque. Basically the stock motor is now being held back now and with this control it will make all the power it can.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Reversing contactor is only $30 more than the HD F/R switch. Electronic shifting by your knee. No more wrestling with that lever.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Reversing contactor is only $30 more than the HD F/R switch. Electronic shifting by your knee. No more wrestling with that lever.
+1 on getting rid of that lever. You get a switch that is much easier to operate and remove a potential trouble spot in the system.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
+1 on getting rid of that lever. You get a switch that is much easier to operate and remove a potential trouble spot in the system.
Get the "switch" and get rid of 5-million year old technology!! Well....Ok....maybe not 5-million years old.....but it sure felt like it.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Funny history about the golf cart F&R. It's roots are in the electric elevator invention. You got it, big old rotating contact bars were manhandled to reverse the current flow and send the passenger cage in the opposite direction. So yeah....... it's about 1890 technology.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, all I can say is the reversing contactor is one of the best upgrades I've put on my cart. Just to flick the switch instead of the major "arm breaking" pull of the F/R switch is a big difference. I'd never go back to the F/R.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
GOLFERDAN
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, if I get a reversing contactor I better keep the old F/R just in case I get an elevator to replace the steps!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO