lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
ubjl02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Monitor an Electric motor

Hey guys, got a couple of questions.
1.Does anyone monitor their motor temp via a dash mounted display? if so what parts do you find work best, and what location on the motor do you select for your reading.
2. is there a way to measure RPM on a dash display?

i am running the B2 motor on a DCS cart, so i have the speed sensor wires just taped up. i was wondering if i could tap into them for RPM's

Thanks, Bobby
ubjl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Monitor an Electric motor

I use a handheld DVM with a temperature function and attached the thermocouple to the motor case with a Ty-Wrap. See attached pictures from when I was running a stock PDS motor.

I put a blob of thermal grease on motor case near bolt holding flied shoe in place, buried thermocouple in blob and covered with foam weather stripping before securing with Ty-Wrap.

The output for the speed sensor of a motor for an EZGO cart is 4 pulses per motor shaft revolution, which is the same as the tachometer output for a V8 engine. I used the RPM function of same DVM to measure motor RPM when I was doing some early testing.

I was planning on installing an automotive type tachometer (Stewart Warner Ultra Shift Light - see picture) when I was running a DCX controller. That would have given me RPM, which in turn can be converted to MPH. Lookup chart on dash, but went the GPS route instead and then the XCT came out and it logs RPM data, so I haven't installed the tach yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (370.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (399.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sww-114906_cp.jpg (15.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tach interface.jpg (18.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use a simple temperature sensor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
ubjl02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again guys
ubjl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO