lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Need a little advice

I'm going to be looking to upgrade my 96 DS 48V Series cart this winter. I can either do the PQ Bandit upgrade, or install a 400A Controller and use the stock motor.

If I go the Bandit route, I will have to wait another year to do the controller.

If I go the controller route, I will have to wait another year to upgrade the motor.

With the controller, I would also get the Solenoid, HD F/R Switch, and upgrade my cables to 2ga welding cables.

My goal is to have a bit more speed as I am only getting about 10 MPH as of right now.

Which route do you think I should take first?

Thanks in advance!
bzlytbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Need a little advice

You will surely get varying opinions, but even though it is a series cart, I would still get the controller (I assume you are thinking an Alltrax SR?) and doing the other upgrades you mentioned with it as that will give you a lot more pep.

And at 10mph, you are either weak batteries now or the controller is set at a low speed code.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You will surely get varying opinions, but even though it is a series cart, I would still get the controller (I assume you are thinking an Alltrax SR?) and doing the other upgrades you mentioned with it as that will give you a lot more pep.

And at 10mph, you are either weak batteries now or the controller is set at a low speed code.
I believe the controller is the stock Curtis controller. How would I go about getting the speed code changed? Is that something I can do myself (DIY), or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Batteries are in pretty good condition so I doubt they are the issue.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would get the controller first if you need torque more than speed... motor first if you need speed more than torque........ but - I would pass on the bandit..... and invest in the MOT-A1
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If you want to have a fun cart for a year and feel a difference in your cart, do the motor first and enjoy. If your not doing anything crazy with it that maybe all you need.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzlytbeer View Post
I believe the controller is the stock Curtis controller. How would I go about getting the speed code changed? Is that something I can do myself (DIY), or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Batteries are in pretty good condition so I doubt they are the issue.
It is done by a dealer or shop. They contact Club Car and get the specific SP4 for your controller.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
It is done by a dealer or shop. They contact Club Car and get the specific SP4 for your controller.
He has a Series cart, the speed codes are only for Sepex Curtis controllers.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
He has a Series cart, the speed codes are only for Sepex Curtis controllers.
Thanks for confirming Sergio - that is what I have been reading on my cart as well. Only options are controllers and motors.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
bzlytbeer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I would get the controller first if you need torque more than speed... motor first if you need speed more than torque........ but - I would pass on the bandit..... and invest in the MOT-A1
scottyb - Wouldn't the controller upgrade give me a bit more speed for now, even using the old motor, or will it only give me more torque since it only is delivering more amperage?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzlytbeer View Post
scottyb - Wouldn't the controller upgrade give me a bit more speed for now, even using the old motor, or will it only give me more torque since it only is delivering more amperage?
In a SERIES cart a bigger controller will not give more speed unless you have installed tires so big the controller is a limiting factor... which is not your case.

In a sepex cart controller upgrades do eliminate rpm restrictions resulting in increased speed... but this is not the case with the series cart. Try the Admiral MOT-A1 motor for $415 - it is advertised to work with the stock controller.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car